Canadian and U.S. Financial Markets: Testing the International Integration Hypothesis Under Time-Varying Conditional Volatility
This paper gauges the international integration hypothesis, i.e. risk-adjusted anticipated returns are identical, even when financial instruments are traded in different countries. Under time-varying conditional volatility, this hypothesis can be tested by verifying the equality between domestic and foreign risk prices associated with a multi-factor analytic specification. The maximum-likelihood and Kalman-filter estimates are used to assess the national risk prices and interpret the factors. Empirically, the integration of Canadian and U.S. financial markets depends crucially on the risk prices of two factors, which seem intimately related to certain nonmonetary events and to the conduct of monetary policies.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 340-6463
Fax: (514) 340-6469
Web page: http://www.hec.ca/iea/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institut d'économie appliquée HEC Montréal 3000, Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine Montréal, Québec H3T 2A7|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Sentana, Enrique & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 2001.
"Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 143-164, June.
- Sentana, E. & Fiorentini, G., 1997. "Identification, Estimation and Testing of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Model," Papers 9709, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana Iváñez, 1997. "Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Michel Normandin & Louis Phaneuf, 2003.
"Monetary Policy Shocks: Testing Identification Conditions Under Time-Varying Conditional Volatility,"
Cahiers de recherche
03-04, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Normandin, Michel & Phaneuf, Louis, 2004. "Monetary policy shocks:: Testing identification conditions under time-varying conditional volatility," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1217-1243, September.
- Michel Normandin & Louis Phaneuf, 2003. "Monetary Policy Shocks: Testing Identification Conditions Under Time-Varying Conditional Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 0337, CIRPEE.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Richard, Scott F, 1987. "The Role of Conditioning Information in Deducing Testable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 587-613, May.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989.
"The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1986. "The dynamics of exchange rate volatility: a multivariate latent factor ARCH model," Special Studies Papers 205, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Eun, Cheol S. & Janakiramanan, S., 1988. "International Listings and Stock Returns: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 135-151, June.
- Sentana, E., 2000.
"Factor Representing Portfolios in Large Asset Markets,"
0001, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Sentana, Enrique, 2004. "Factor representing portfolios in large asset markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 257-289, April.
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1996.
"Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
39, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1998. "Substitution, risk aversion, taste shocks and equity premia," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 265-281.
- Normandin, Michel & St-Amour, Pascal, 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Cahiers de recherche 9606, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Normandin, M. & St-Amour, P., 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Papers 9606, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Finance 9607001, EconWPA.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jorion, Philippe & Giovannini, Alberto, 1993.
"Time-series tests of a non-expected-utility model of asset pricing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1083-1100, June.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Jorion, 1989. "Time-Series Tests of a Non-Expected-Utility Model of Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 3195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Cochrane & Lars Peter Hansen, 1992.
"Asset Pricing Explorations for Macroeconomics,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 115-182
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988.
"Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990. "Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Strongin, Steven, 1995. "The identification of monetary policy disturbances explaining the liquidity puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 463-497, June.
- Gultekin, Mustafa N & Gultekin, N Bulent & Penati, Alessandro, 1989. " Capital Controls and International Capital Market Segmentation: The Evidence from the Japanese and American Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 849-69, September.
- Ng, Victor & Engle, Robert F. & Rothschild, Michael, 1992. "A multi-dynamic-factor model for stock returns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 245-266.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Stephen R Foerster & G Andrew Karolyi, 1993. "International Listings of Stocks: The Case of Canada and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 763-784, December.
- Jorion, Philippe & Schwartz, Eduardo, 1986. " Integration vs. Segmentation in the Canadian Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 603-14, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Laurence Booth, 1987. "The Dividend Tax Credit and Canadian Ownership Objectives," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 321-39, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iea:carech:0308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Power)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.