The Sequential Equal Surplus Division for Sharing International Rivers with Bifurcations
We consider the problem of sharing water from a river among the group of countries located along it. The benefit of each country depends on the amount of water it consumes. An allocation of the water is efficient when it maximizes the total benefits of the countries. The problem of finding a fair welfare distribution can be modeled as a cooperative game. We introduce a new allocation rule, called the sequential equal surplus division, for sharing the total welfare resulting form the cooperation of countries along a river with bifurcations. This rule obeys the so-called Territorial Integration of all Basin States doctrine, which emphasizes compromise and fairness among countries. We provide two axiomatic characterizations of this rule.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 45 D Avenue de l'observatoire, 25030 Besançon cedex|
Phone: 03 81 66 65 80
Fax: 03 81 66 65 76
Web page: http://crese.univ-fcomte.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lehrer, E, 1988. "An Axiomatization of the Banzhaf Value," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 17(2), pages 89-99.
- Sylvain Béal & Éric Rémila & Philippe Solal, 2010.
"Rooted-tree Solutions for Tree Games,"
- Erik Ansink & Hans-Peter Weikard, 2009.
"Sequential Sharing Rules for River Sharing Problems,"
2009.114, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Erik Ansink & Hans-Peter Weikard, 2012. "Sequential sharing rules for river sharing problems," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 38(2), pages 187-210, February.
- HERINGS, P. Jean-Jacques & van der LAAN, Gerard & TALMAN, Dolf, .
"The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2155, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herings, P. Jean Jacques & van der Laan, Gerard & Talman, Dolf, 2008. "The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 77-92, January.
- Herings, P.J.J. & van der Laan, G. & Talman, A.J.J., 2008. "The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games," Other publications TiSEM f243609c-2847-415f-ae52-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2007.
"The consensus value : A new solution concept for cooperative games,"
Other publications TiSEM
6cd44a12-a909-47f8-8d85-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Yuan Ju & Peter Borm & Pieter Ruys, 2007. "The consensus value: a new solution concept for cooperative games," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 28(4), pages 685-703, June.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2004. "The Consensus Value : A New Solution Concept for Cooperative Games," Discussion Paper 2004-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Aadland, David & Kolpin, Van, 1998. "Shared irrigation costs: An empirical and axiomatic analysis," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 203-218, March.
- Rene van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Nigel Moes, 2010.
"Fair Agreements for Sharing International Rivers with Multiple Springs and Externalities,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-096/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- van den Brink, René & van der Laan, Gerard & Moes, Nigel, 2012. "Fair agreements for sharing international rivers with multiple springs and externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 388-403.
- Gabrielle Demange, 2004.
"On group stability in hierarchies and networks,"
- William Thomson, 2011.
"Consistency and its converse: an introduction,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 15(4), pages 257-291, December.
- Béal, Sylvain & Rémila, Eric & Solal, Philippe, 2012.
"Weighted component fairness for forest games,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 144-151.
- N. Lesca, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640604, HAL.
- René Brink & Gerard Laan & Valeri Vasil’ev, 2007. "Component efficient solutions in line-graph games with applications," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 33(2), pages 349-364, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crb:wpaper:2012-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian At)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.