The Tax Benefit of Income Smoothing
A worker can contribute pre-tax dollars to a private pension plan. Under a progressive tax, this feature reduces income taxes. Ippolito (1986} argues that an individual in 1979 can reduce lifetime taxes by 20%. We re-examine his analysis using the complete time-series of US income tax history and find that the tax benefit of income smoothing is much smaller.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jennifer Huang, 2008. "Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing: A Tax-Arbitrage Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 2173-2207, September.
- Nishiyama, Shinichi, 2011. "The budgetary and welfare effects of tax-deferred retirement saving accounts," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(11), pages 1561-1578.
- Daniel Feenberg & Jonathan Skinner, 1989.
"Sources of IRA Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
2845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Slitor, 1948. "The Measurement of Progressivity and Built-In Flexibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 309-313.
- Milligan, Kevin, 2003.
"How do contribution limits affect contributions to tax-preferred savings accounts?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 253-281, February.
- Kevin Milligan, 2000. "How Do Contribution Limits Affect Contributions to Tax-Preferred Savings Accounts?," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 27, McMaster University.
- Melvin Stephens Jr. & Jennifer Ward-Batts, 2001.
"The Impact of Separate Taxation on the Intra-Household Allocation of Assets: Evidence from the UK,"
NBER Working Papers
8380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephens, Melvin Jr & Ward-Batts, Jennifer, 2004. "The impact of separate taxation on the intra-household allocation of assets: evidence from the UK," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1989-2007, August.
- Christopher Ragan, 1994. "Progressive Income Taxes and the Substitution Effect of RRSPs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 43-57, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.