Which Terror at Which Cost? On the Economic Consequences of Terrorist Attacks
We assess the cost of different types of terrorist attacks on the growth of output and of its components. Private Consumption and Investment are significantly and negatively affected by all terror indicators, and the largest impact is respectively associated with the number of victims or the number of attacks.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tavares, Jose, 2004. "The open society assesses its enemies: shocks, disasters and terrorist attacks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1039-1070, July.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Fisher, Jonas D M, 2005.
"Fiscal Policy in the Aftermath of 9/11,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Gassebner, Martin & Jong-A-Pin, Richard & Mierau, Jochen O., 2008. "Terrorism and electoral accountability: One strike, you're out!," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 126-129, July.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Tsiddon, Daniel, 2004.
"Macroeconomic consequences of terror: theory and the case of Israel,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 971-1002, July.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Tsiddon, Daniel, 2004. "Macroeconomic Consequences of Terror: Theory and the Case of Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 4427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Gregory D. Hess & Athanasios Orphanides, 2004.
"The Macroeconomic Consequences of Terrorism,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1151, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2007.
"Calculating Tragedy: Assessing The Costs Of Terrorism,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 1-24, 02.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Calculating Tragedy: Assessing the Costs of Terrorism," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-23, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Calculating Tragedy: Assessing the Costs of Terrorism," CESifo Working Paper Series 1341, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, . "Calculating Tragedy: Assessing the Costs of Terrorism," IEW - Working Papers 205, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Nitsch, Volker & Schumacher, Dieter, 2004. "Terrorism and international trade: an empirical investigation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 423-433, June.
- Gary S. Becker & Yona Rubinstein, 2011. "Fear and the Response to Terrorism: An Economic Analysis," CEP Discussion Papers dp1079, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Enders, Walter & Sandler, Todd, 1995. "Terrorism: Theory and applications," Handbook of Defense Economics, in: Keith Hartley & Todd Sandler (ed.), Handbook of Defense Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 213-249 Elsevier.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Bhattacharya, Rina & Chakravarti, Shamit, 2004. "Fiscal consequences of armed conflict and terrorism in low- and middle-income countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 403-421, June.
- Enders, Walter & Sandler, Todd, 1996. "Terrorism and Foreign Direct Investment in Spain and Greece," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 331-52.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2003. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case Study of the Basque Country," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Fernanda Llussa & Jose Tavares, 2007. "The economics of terrorism: A synopsis," Economics of Peace and Security Journal, Economists for Peace and Security, vol. 2(1), pages 62-70, January.
- Abadie, Alberto & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2008.
"Terrorism and the world economy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.