Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis
Most stock exchange regulators around the world reacted to the 2007-2009 crisis by imposing bans or regulatory constraints on short-selling. Short-selling restrictions were imposed and lifted at different dates in different countries, often applied to different sets of stocks and featured different degrees of stringency. We exploit this considerable variation in short-sales regimes to identify their effects with panel data techniques, and find that bans (i) were detrimental for liquidity, especially for stocks with small market capitalization, high volatility and no listed options; (ii) slowed down price discovery, especially in bear market phases, and (iii) failed to support stock prices, except possibly for U.S. financial stocks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2003.
"Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm321, Yale School of Management.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2007. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets Around the World," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1029-1079, 06.
- William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu & Arturo Bris, 2003. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," NBER Working Papers 9466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Bris & William Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm327, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2005.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm15, Yale School of Management.
- Miller, Edward M, 1977. "Risk, Uncertainty, and Divergence of Opinion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1151-1168, September.
- Diamond, Douglas W. & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1987. "Constraints on short-selling and asset price adjustment to private information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 277-311, June.
- Seraina GRUENEWALD & Alexander F. WAGNER & Rolf H. WEBER, "undated". "Short Selling Regulation after the Financial Crisis – First Principles Revisited," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-28, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Eric C. Chang & Joseph W. Cheng & Yinghui Yu, 2007. "Short-Sales Constraints and Price Discovery: Evidence from the Hong Kong Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(5), pages 2097-2121, October.
- Karl B. Diether & Kuan-Hui Lee & Ingrid M. Werner, 2009. "It's SHO Time! Short-Sale Price Tests and Market Quality," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(1), pages 37-73, 02.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2008. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-08," NBER Working Papers 14612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985.
"Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Michael Halling & Marco Pagano & Otto Randl & Josef Zechner, 2008. "Where Is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings in the United States," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 725-761, April.
- Charles M. Jones & Owen A. Lamont, 2001.
"Short Sale Constraints and Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
8494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saffi, Pedro & Sigurdson, Kari, 2008.
"Price efficiency and short selling,"
IESE Research Papers
D/748, IESE Business School.
- Halling, Michael & Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Zechner, Josef, 2005. "Where is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings," CEPR Discussion Papers 4987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.