Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets Around the World
We analyze cross-sectional and time-series information from 46 equity markets around the world to consider whether short sales restrictions affect the efficiency of the market and the distributional characteristics of returns to individual stocks and market indices. We find some evidence that prices incorporate negative information faster in countries where short sales are allowed and practiced. A common conjecture by regulators is that short sales restrictions can reduce the relative severity of a market panic. We find strong evidence that in markets where short selling is either prohibited or not practiced, market returns display significantly less negative skewness. Copyright 2007 by The American Finance Association.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 62 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afajof.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.afajof.org/membership/join.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimson, E & Marsh, P R, 1983.
" The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 753-783, June.
- Elroy Dimson and Paul Marsh., 1981. "The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 120, University of California at Berkeley.
- De Long, J Bradford & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, 1990.
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 703-738, August.
- De Long, J. Bradford & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Waldmann, Robert J., 1990. "Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets," Scholarly Articles 3725552, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, "undated". "Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets," J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers _124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Chen Zhiwu, 1995. "Financial Innovation and Arbitrage Pricing in Frictional Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 117-135, February.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1997.
" Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 557-590, June.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing specification errors in stochastic discount factor models," Staff Report 167, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Poitras, Geoffrey, 2002. "Short sales restrictions, dilution and the pricing of rights issues on the Singapore Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 141-162, April.
- D'Avolio, Gene, 2002. "The market for borrowing stock," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 271-306.
- Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 2003. "Differences of Opinion, Short-Sales Constraints, and Market Crashes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 487-525.
- Klemkosky, Robert C & Resnick, Bruce G, 1979. "Put-Call Parity and Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1141-1155, December.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Hua He and David M. Modest., 1992.
"Market Frictions and Consumption-Based Asset Pricing,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-223, University of California at Berkeley.
- He, Hua & Modest, David M, 1995. "Market Frictions and Consumption-Based Asset Pricing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 94-117, February.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2002. "Securities lending, shorting, and pricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 307-339.
- Zhiwu Chen, 2001. "Viable Costs and Equilibrium Prices in Frictional Securities Markets," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 2(2), pages 297-323, November.
- Li, Lianfa & Fleisher, Belton M., 2004. "Heterogeneous expectations and stock prices in segmented markets: application to Chinese firms," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 521-538, September.
- Ofek, Eli & Richardson, Matthew & Whitelaw, Robert F., 2004. "Limited arbitrage and short sales restrictions: evidence from the options markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 305-342, November.
- Antonio Bernardo & Ivo Welch, 2006.
"Liquidity and Financial Market Runs,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm280, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2003.
- Eli Ofek & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "DotCom Mania: The Rise and Fall of Internet Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1113-1138, 06.
- Geczy, Christopher C. & Musto, David K. & Reed, Adam V., 2002. "Stocks are special too: an analysis of the equity lending market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 241-269.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jfinan:v:62:y:2007:i:3:p:1029-1079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.