Unlocking Value: Equity Carve outs as Strategic Real Options
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Perotti, Enrico & Rossetto, Silvia, 2007. "Unlocking value: Equity carve outs as strategic real options," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 771-792, December.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1990.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1119-1158, December.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Working papers 495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Moore, John, 1990. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Scholarly Articles 3448675, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2001.
"The Firm as a Dedicated Hierarchy: A Theory of the Origins and Growth of Firms,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 116(3), pages 805-851.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Firm as a Dedicated Hierarchy: A Theory of the Origin and Growth of Firms," NBER Working Papers 7546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Avanidhar Subrahmanyam & Sheridan Titman, 1999. "The Going-Public Decision and the Development of Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1045-1082, June.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Habib, Michel A. & Johnsen, D. Bruce & Naik, Narayan Y., 1997. "Spinoffs and Information," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 153-176, April.
- Jeffrey W. Allen & John J. McConnell, 1998. "Equity Carve-Outs and Managerial Discretion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 163-186, February.
- James Dow, 2003.
"Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 439-454, July.
- James Dow & Rohit Rahi, 1996. "Informed Trading, Investment and Welfare," Archive Working Papers 029, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Rohit Rahi & James Dow, 1998. "Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare," FMG Discussion Papers dp292, Financial Markets Group.
- Dow, J & Rahi, R, 1997. "Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare," Economics Working Papers eco97/03, European University Institute.
- Eric A. Powers, 2003. "Deciphering the Motives for Equity Carve‐Outs," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 31-50, March.
- Yuanzhi Luo, 2005. "Do Insiders Learn from Outsiders? Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1951-1982, August.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000.
"The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2537-2564, December.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment," NBER Working Papers 5969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John, Kose & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Asset sales and increase in focus," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 105-126, January.
- Itay Goldstein & Alexander Guembel, 2008. "Manipulation and the Allocational Role of Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 133-164.
- Paul Childs & Steven Ott & Timothy Riddiough, 2001. "Valuation and Information Acquisition Policy for Claims Written on Noisy Real Assets," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 30(2), Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:pacfin:v:49:y:2018:i:c:p:15-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Desai, Chintal A. & Klock, Mark S. & Mansi, Sattar A., 2011. "On the acquisition of equity carve-outs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3432-3449.
- Desai, Chintal A. & Savickas, Robert, 2010. "On the causes of volatility effects of conglomerate breakups," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 554-571, September.
- Sergey Chernenko & C. Fritz Foley & Robin Greenwood, 2010. "Agency Costs, Mispricing, and Ownership Structure," NBER Working Papers 15910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewis H. K. Tam, 2014. "The impacts of parent’s listing status on subsidiary’s financial constraint and cost of equity capital: the case of equity carve-outs," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 54(1), pages 275-299, March.
- Naga Lakshmi Damaraju & Jay B. Barney & Anil K. Makhija, 2015. "Real options in divestment alternatives," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(5), pages 728-744, May.
- Berg, Tobias & Mölls, Sascha H. & Willershausen, Timo, 2009. "(Real-)options, uncertainty and comparative statics: Are Black and Scholes mistaken?," Manuskripte aus den Instituten für Betriebswirtschaftslehre der Universität Kiel 645, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre.
More about this item
KeywordsBuy back; Equity carve out; Real options; Spin Off; Vertical integration;
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CSE-2007-05-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.