Structural Adjustment and the Sectoral and Geographical Mobility of Labour
Conventional methods for analysing worker flows often focus on gross flows or transition probabilities. This is not necessarily informative for identifying the scale of labour ‘adjustment’ in an economy in the sense of the expansion and decline of industries. We develop a method that relates the individual characteristics of workers to net, rather than gross flows. Our method also allows for interactions between the regional and sectoral mobility of labour. We apply this to the UK using data from the Labour Force Survey over a period of significant structural change, and quantify the relative importance of education and housing tenure on regional and sectoral mobility.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henley, Andrew, 1998. "Residential Mobility, Housing Equity and the Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 414-27, March.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1978. "The Role of Relative Wages and Excess Demand in the Sectoral Flow of Labour," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 453-67, October.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Robert Moffitt, 1990.
"An Estimate of a Sectoral Model of Labor Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
3227, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1989. "Unemployment and the Inter-regional Mobility of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 739-55, September.
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1982. "A Theory of Factor Mobility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 1054-69, October.
- Jackman, Richard & Savouri, Savvas, 1992. "Regional Migration in Britain: An Analysis of Gross Flows Using NHS Central Register Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1433-50, November.
- Lilien, David M, 1982. "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(4), pages 777-93, August.
- McCormick, Barry, 1997. "Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 581-589, April.
- Creedy, John, 1974. "Inter-Regional Mobility: A Cross-Section Analysis," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 21(1), pages 41-53, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3662. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.