TFP Growth in British and German Manufacturing, 1950-96
The Paper considers the accuracy of traditional TFP growth estimates using an econometric methodology which takes account of scale economies, fixed factors of production and adjustment costs to reveal underlying ‘pure technological change’. The results suggest that these biases vary substantially over time but do not impact heavily on Anglo-German comparisons. In both countries the early post-war years are a period when adjustment costs from a rising supply price of capital goods hold down TFP growth below that which could have accrued from pure technological progress. As might be expected, this problem largely disappeared in the later globalization period.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Crafts & Mary O'Mahony, 2001. "A perspective on UK productivity performance," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 271-306, September.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Notes on Growth Accounting,"
NBER Working Papers
6654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eberly, Janice C., 1997. "International evidence on investment and fundamentals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1055-1078, June.
- Steve Bond & Costas Meghir, 1994. "Financial constraints and company investment," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 15(2), pages 1-18, May.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1988. "Quasi-Fixed Inputs in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Generalized Leontief Restricted Cost Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 275-87, May.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1992. "Unraveling the Productivity Growth Slowdown in the United States, Canada and Japan: The Effects of Subequilibrium, Scale Economies and Markups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 381-93, August.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, June.
- N Dryden & Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1996.
"What Makes Firms Perform Well?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0308, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pavitt, Keith & Patel, Pari, 1988. "The International Distribution and Determinants of Technological Activities," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(4), pages 35-55, Winter.
- Aghion, Ph. & Dewatripont, M. & Rey, P., 1997.
"Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 797-805, April.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Philippe Aghion & Patrick Rey, 1997. "Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9613, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Richmond, James & Lynde, Catherine, 2000. "Cost inefficiencies in UK manufacturing," Economics Discussion Papers 9987, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Geroski, P A, 1990. "Innovation, Technological Opportunity, and Market Structure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 586-602, July.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John van Reenen, 1999. "Market Share, Market Value and Innovation in a Panel of British Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 529-554.
- Darby, Julia & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1991. "Trends in Labour Productivity in UK Manufacturing," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 424-42, July.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:154:y::i:1:p:53-70 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.