Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle
In this paper we look at the behaviour of maintenance, utilization and physical depreciation over the business cycle. We do so within the context of a real business cycle model where the decisions of firms about physical capital utilization, maintenance, and improvement or scrapping are endogenous. We distinguish between labour input devoted to output production and labour input devoted to maintaining and improving or scrapping existing capital. Firms must first decide the total number of work hours and then how to allocate workers between output production and capital maintenance. The model encompasses the baseline real business cycle model, where the depreciation rate is fixed, or versions of that model where the depreciation rate is an exogenous stochastic process. It also encompasses versions of the real business cycle model where capital utilization is an explicit endogenous variable or enters implicitly a variable work effort. Our model is capable of providing a unified explanation of several stylized facts of business cycle behaviour, including (a) a low correlation between labour productivity and output, (b) a low correlation between wages and productivity and (c) a relatively strong correlation between real wages and hours worked. Making the business cycle propagation richer reduces the variance of the Solow residual needed to match output volatility.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M, 1995.
"Output Dynamics in Real-Business-Cycle Models,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 492-511, June.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 245-273, April.
- Christiano, Lawrence J., 1988. "Why does inventory investment fluctuate so much?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 247-280.
- Juster, F Thomas & Stafford, Frank P, 1991.
"The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioral Models, and Problems of Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 471-522, June.
- Juster, F. Thomas & Stafford, Frank P., 1990. "The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioural Models, and Problems of Measurement," Working Paper Series 258, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, 1999. "Maintenance and repair: too big to ignore," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-13.
- Feldstein, Martin S & Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Towards an Economic Theory of Replacement Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 393-423, May.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1992.
"Stylized Facts of Business Cycles in the G7 from a Real Business Cycles Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1994. "Stylized facts of business cycles in the G7 from a real business cycles perspective," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 235-269, February.
- Gilbert Ghez & Gary S. Becker, 1975. "The Allocation of Time and Goods over the Life Cycle," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ghez75-1, Enero.
- Steve Ambler & Alain Paquet, 1992. "Stochastic Depreciation and the Business Cycle Puzzle," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 8, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1999. "Macroeconomics of Self-fulfilling Prophecies, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062038.
- Ingram, B.F. & DeJong, D.N. & Whiteman, C.H. & Wen, Y., 1996.
"Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital,"
96-12, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- David N. DeJong & Beth F. Ingram & Yi Wen & Charles H. Whiteman, 1996. "Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital," Macroeconomics 9609004, EconWPA.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-417, June.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Burnside, C & Eichenbaum, M & Rebelo, S, 1995.
"Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale,"
RCER Working Papers
402, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," NBER Working Papers 5125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," CEPR Discussion Papers 1221, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995. "Capital utilization and returns to scale," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 95-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Aghion, Philippe & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1998. "VIRTUES OF BAD TIMES Interaction Between Productivity Growth and Economic Fluctuations," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 322-344, September.
- Fay, Jon A & Medoff, James L, 1985. "Labor and Output over the Business Cycle: Some Direct Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 638-655, September.
- Ambler, Steve & Paquet, Alain, 1994. "Stochastic Depreciation and the Business Cycle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 101-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.