Technological convergence and the connections between adoption, maintenance and investment activities
This paper explores the interactions between maintenance, adoption and investment activities when labor is heterogeneous. We consider that adoption activities are intensive in human capital whereas capital maintenance requires unskilled labor. Among the main results, we find that the optimal skilled and unskilled labor allocation are independently determined. Hence, maintenance (adoption) activities are not affected by changes in the efficiency of adoption (maintenance) parameters. We next simulate the model in order to study the convergence speed to the long run technological gap and the role of human capital in the process of catching-up.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul S. Adler & Kim B. Clark, 1991. "Behind the Learning Curve: A Sketch of the Learning Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(3), pages 267-281, March.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT, Ramon, .
"Capital maintenance and investment: complements or substitutes?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1630, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT Ramon, 2001. "Capital Maintenance and Investment : Complements or Substitutes ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bahk, Byong-Hong & Gort, Michael, 1993. "Decomposing Learning by Doing in New Plants," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 561-83, August.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Blanca MARTINEZ & Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance and the Technological Gap,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & CARGI SAGLAM, 2003. "Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance And The Technological Gap," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Eric W. Bond & Ping Wang & Chong K. Yip, 1993. "A general two sector model of endogenous growth with human and physical capital," Research Paper 9303, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2002025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.