Technological convergence and the connections between adoption, maintenance and investment activities
This paper explores the interactions between maintenance, adoption and investment activities when labor is heterogeneous. We consider that adoption activities are intensive in human capital whereas capital maintenance requires unskilled labor. Among the main results, we find that the optimal skilled and unskilled labor allocation are independently determined. Hence, maintenance (adoption) activities are not affected by changes in the efficiency of adoption (maintenance) parameters. We next simulate the model in order to study the convergence speed to the long run technological gap and the role of human capital in the process of catching-up.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/immaq/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bahk, Byong-Hong & Gort, Michael, 1993. "Decomposing Learning by Doing in New Plants," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 561-583, August.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Blanca MARTINEZ & Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance and the Technological Gap,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & CARGI SAGLAM, 2003. "Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance And The Technological Gap," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Paul S. Adler & Kim B. Clark, 1991. "Behind the Learning Curve: A Sketch of the Learning Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(3), pages 267-281, March.
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT, Ramon, "undated". "Capital maintenance and investment: complements or substitutes?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1630, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT Ramon, 2001. "Capital Maintenance and Investment : Complements or Substitutes ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2002025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.