Adoption Costs, Age of Capital and Technological Substitution
In this paper, we introduce adoption costs in a vintage capital model. We assume that the incorporation of technological innovations into the production sector requires an extra labor cost during a fixed period. First, we show how adoption crucially matters in the shape of short run and asymptotic dynamics. Then, we analyze the consequences of adoption costs in technological substitution extending the model in two ways : we let adoption costs depend on the technical growth rate, and we endogenize them, depending on the technological gap. When adoption costs depend on the technical growth rate, the effect of growth on optimal lifetime of machines is indeterminate; the creative destruction effect can be compensated by the adoption effect, and faster growth rates delay the technological substitution. Finally, when adoption costs are endogenous, we recover the typical obsolescence effect in vintage capital models and show that technological progress has a negative effect on the technological gap.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Navaretti, Giorgio Barba & Soloaga, Isidro & Takacs, Wendy, 1998. "When vintage technology makes sense : matching imports to skills," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1923, The World Bank.
- Evenson, R.E. & Westphal, L.E., 1994. "Technological Change and Technology Strategy," Papers 709, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 2001.
"Accounting for Growth,"
in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 179-224
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul, Christopher & Licandro, Omar & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995.
"Differential-difference equations in economics: on the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
3951, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997. "Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, . "Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1996 _036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, .
"Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model,"
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997. "Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Licandro, Omar & Germain, Marc & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1996. "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," UC3M Working papers. Economics 4096, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998.
"Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," Working Papers 97-08, FEDEA.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Easterly, William & King, Robert G & Levine, Ross & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994.
"Policy, Technology Adoption and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
957, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bahk, Byong-Hong & Gort, Michael, 1993. "Decomposing Learning by Doing in New Plants," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 561-83, August.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Martinez, Blanca, 1999. "Machine Replacement, Technology Adoption and Convergence," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1999025, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Magnac, T. & Verdier, T., 1989.
"Welfare Aspects of Technological Adoption with Learning,"
DELTA Working Papers
89-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Magnac, T. & Verdier, T., 1993. "Welfare aspects of technological adoption with learning," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 31-48, August.
- Parente Stephen L., 1994. "Technology Adoption, Learning-by-Doing, and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 346-369, August.
- Paul S. Adler & Kim B. Clark, 1991. "Behind the Learning Curve: A Sketch of the Learning Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(3), pages 267-281, March.
- van Hilten, Onno, 1991. "The optimal lifetime of capital equipment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 449-454, December.
- Malcomson, James M., 1975. "Replacement and the rental value of capital equipment subject to obsolescence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 24-41, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2002024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.