Endogenous vs Exogenously Driven Fluctuations in Vintage Capital Models
In this paper, we present a simple vintage capital growth model in which both exogenous and endogenous fluctuations sources are present. Indeed, it can be seen as a particular case of Caballero and Hammour (1996)'s creative destruction model, with advantage that analytical characterization of the short run and asymptotic dynamics is partially allowed. In particular, we show that job creation follows a delayed-differential equation with periodic coefficients. The delay is equal to the optimal age of capital goods, and can be taken as a measureof the periodicity of the endogenous replacement echoes inherent to vintage models. The period of the coefficients is equal to the period of an exogenous profitability cycle. We mathematically show that job creation is asymptotically periodic, with the same period as the profitability cycle. Furthermore using an explicit numerical method, we find that replacement echoes generally dominate the short run dynamics. Finally, we find that the combination of the two fluctuations sources favors the appearance of asymmetries in job creation and job destruction patterns.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Hilten, Onno, 1991. "The optimal lifetime of capital equipment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 449-454, December.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1996.
"On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 805-52, August.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1994. "On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 4768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., .
"Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997. "Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," Working Papers 96-16, FEDEA.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998.
" Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," Working Papers 97-08, FEDEA.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Greenwood, Jeremy & Yorukoglu, Mehmet, 1997.
"The replacement problem,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 457-499, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1995. "The Replacement Problem," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9508, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1997. "The Replacement Problem," RCER Working Papers 444, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The replacement problem," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 95, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The Replacement Problem," Working Papers 9408, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Wen, Yi, 1998. "Investment cycles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1139-1165, May.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment And Growth,"
90-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997.
"Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, . "Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1996 _036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M, 1995.
"Output Dynamics in Real-Business-Cycle Models,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 492-511, June.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:88:y:1999:i:1:p:161-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.