Endogenous vs Exogenously Driven Fluctuations in Vintage Capital Models
In this paper, we present a simple vintage capital growth model in which both exogenous and endogenous fluctuations sources are present. Indeed, it can be seen as a particular case of Caballero and Hammour (1996)'s creative destruction model, with advantage that analytical characterization of the short run and asymptotic dynamics is partially allowed. In particular, we show that job creation follows a delayed-differential equation with periodic coefficients. The delay is equal to the optimal age of capital goods, and can be taken as a measureof the periodicity of the endogenous replacement echoes inherent to vintage models. The period of the coefficients is equal to the period of an exogenous profitability cycle. We mathematically show that job creation is asymptotically periodic, with the same period as the profitability cycle. Furthermore using an explicit numerical method, we find that replacement echoes generally dominate the short run dynamics. Finally, we find that the combination of the two fluctuations sources favors the appearance of asymmetries in job creation and job destruction patterns.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1995.
"The Replacement Problem,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9508, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1997. "The Replacement Problem," RCER Working Papers 444, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The replacement problem," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 95, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The Replacement Problem," Working Papers 9408, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth,"
886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- van Hilten, Onno, 1991. "The optimal lifetime of capital equipment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 449-454, December.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Wen, Yi, 1998. "Investment cycles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1139-1165, May.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, .
"Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998. " Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," Working Papers 97-08, FEDEA.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M, 1995.
"Output Dynamics in Real-Business-Cycle Models,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 492-511, June.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997.
"Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," Working Papers 96-16, FEDEA.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1994.
"On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction,"
NBER Working Papers
4768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1996. "On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 805-52, August.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, .
"Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1996
_036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997. "Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:88:y:1999:i:1:p:161-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.