Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models
In this paper, we examine techniques for the analytical and numerical solution of statedependent differential-difference equations. Such equations occur in the continuous time modelling of vintage capital growth models, which form a particularly important class of models in modern economic growth theory. The theoretical treatment of non-statedependent differential-difference equations in economics has already been discussed by Benhabib and Rustichini (1991). In general, though, the state-dependence of a model prevents its analytical solution in all but the simplest of cases. We review a numerical method for solving state-dependent models, using some simple examples to illustrate our discussion. In addition, we analyse the Solow vintage capital growth model. We conclude by mentioning a crucial unresolved issue related to this topic.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Econometrics, University of Geneva, 102 Bd Carl-Vogt, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1991.
"Vintage capital, investment, and growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 323-339, December.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1990. "Vintage Capital, Investment And Growth," Working Papers 90-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990. "Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth," Discussion Papers 886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990.
"Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
24, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1992. "Current Real-Business-Cycle Theories and Aggregate Labor-Market Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 430-50, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 90, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, .
"Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model,"
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997. "Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Licandro, Omar & Germain, Marc & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1996. "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," UC3M Working papers. Economics 4096, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1995.
"The Replacement Problem,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9508, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The replacement problem," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 95, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1997. "The Replacement Problem," RCER Working Papers 444, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The Replacement Problem," Working Papers 9408, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- van Hilten, Onno, 1991. "The optimal lifetime of capital equipment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 449-454, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
NBER Working Papers
3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malcomson, James M., 1975. "Replacement and the rental value of capital equipment subject to obsolescence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 24-41, February.
- R. M. Solow & J. Tobin & C. C. von Weizsäcker & M. Yaari, 1966. "Neoclassical Growth with Fixed Factor Proportions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 79-115.
- Licandro, Omar & Germain, Marc & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995. "Creative destruction and business cycles," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3907, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.