Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models
In this paper, we examine techniques for the analytical and numerical solution of statedependent differential-difference equations. Such equations occur in the continuous time modelling of vintage capital growth models, which form a particularly important class of models in modern economic growth theory. The theoretical treatment of non-statedependent differential-difference equations in economics has already been discussed by Benhabib and Rustichini (1991). In general, though, the state-dependence of a model prevents its analytical solution in all but the simplest of cases. We review a numerical method for solving state-dependent models, using some simple examples to illustrate our discussion. In addition, we analyse the Solow vintage capital growth model. We conclude by mentioning a crucial unresolved issue related to this topic.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Greenwood, Jeremy & Yorukoglu, Mehmet, 1997.
"The replacement problem,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 457-499, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1997. "The Replacement Problem," RCER Working Papers 444, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The replacement problem," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 95, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jeremy Greenwood & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 1994. "The Replacement Problem," Working Papers 9408, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Cooley, T.F. & Greenwood, J. & Yorukoglu, M., 1995. "The Replacement Problem," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9508, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," Working Papers 96-16, FEDEA.
- van Hilten, Onno, 1991. "The optimal lifetime of capital equipment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 449-454, December.
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth,"
886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
NBER Working Papers
3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malcomson, James M., 1975. "Replacement and the rental value of capital equipment subject to obsolescence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 24-41, February.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990.
"Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
90, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1992. "Current Real-Business-Cycle Theories and Aggregate Labor-Market Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 430-50, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 24, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.