Optimal growth under endogenous depreciation, capital utilization and maintenance costs
This paper analyzes the equilibrium dynamics of an optimal growth model with endogenous depreciation, variable capital utilization, and expenditures on the maintenance of physical capital. Maintenance reduces the depreciation of capital, utilization affects the activity of maintainance. We establish a set of sufficient conditions for the existence and uniqueness of a steady state equilibrium. We define a "delta golden rule" consistent with the proposed economic environment and we analyze the dynamic efficiency of this economy. Finally, the steady state is found to be locally saddle-path stable. (Copyright: Fundación Empresa Pública)
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/investigacion/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruiz-Tamarit, JosÃ© Ramon, 1995. "DÃ©prÃ©ciation endogÃ¨ne et sous-utilisation du capital," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, 1999. "Maintenance and repair: too big to ignore," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-13.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2000.
"Capital Utilization, Maintenance Costs and the Business Cycle,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 58, pages 143-164.
- Puch, Luis A. & Licandro, Omar, 1995. "Capital utilization: maintenance costs and the business cycle," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3917, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1983. "An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 675-692, May.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982. "An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment," NBER Working Papers 0885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hirofumi Uzawa, 1964. "Optimal Growth in a Two-Sector Model of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(1), pages 1-24.
- Beatriz Rumbos & Leonardo Auernheimer, 2001. "Endogenous capital utilization in a neoclassical growth model," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 121-134, June.
- M. Kurz, 1968. "The General Instability of a Class of Competitive Growth Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 155-174.
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994. "Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Motahar, Eshragh, 1992. "Endogenous capital utilization and the q theory of investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 71-75, September.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)