Optimal growth under endogenous depreciation, capital utilization and maintenance costs
This paper analyzes the equilibrium dynamics of an optimal growth model with endogenous depreciation, variable capital utilization, and expenditures on the maintenance of physical capital. Maintenance reduces the depreciation of capital, utilization affects the activity of maintainance. We establish a set of sufficient conditions for the existence and uniqueness of a steady state equilibrium. We define a "delta golden rule" consistent with the proposed economic environment and we analyze the dynamic efficiency of this economy. Finally, the steady state is found to be locally saddle-path stable. (Copyright: Fundación Empresa Pública)
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982.
"An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
0885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994.
"Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1996. "Factor-Hoarding and the Propagation of Business-Cycle Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1154-1174, December.
- Beatriz Rumbos & Leonardo Auernheimer, 2001. "Endogenous capital utilization in a neoclassical growth model," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 121-134, June.
- Motahar, Eshragh, 1992. "Endogenous capital utilization and the q theory of investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 71-75, September.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2000.
"Capital Utilization, Maintenance Costs and the Business Cycle,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 58, pages 143-164.
- Puch, Luis A. & Licandro, Omar, 1995. "Capital utilization: maintenance costs and the business cycle," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3917, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Kurz, 1968. "The General Instability of a Class of Competitive Growth Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 155-174.
- Ruiz-Tamarit, José Ramon, 1995. "Dépréciation endogène et sous-utilisation du capital," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, 1999. "Maintenance and repair: too big to ignore," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-13.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirofumi Uzawa, 1964. "Optimal Growth in a Two-Sector Model of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(1), pages 1-24.
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:25:y:2001:i:3:p:543-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.