Measuring Total Factor Productivity and Variable Factor Utilisation: Sector Approach, The Case of Latvia
This research constructs estimates of total factor productivity (TFP) growth for six sectors of the Latvian economy for the period 2000-2008, using a sectoral quarterly data set. Estimates are obtained by controlling for qualitative changes in production factors and assuming a mechanism for capturing changes in the utilisation of labour and capital. The paper delivers two main results. First, the use of indicators for labour and capital utilisation intensity allows for minimisation of fluctuations in the TFP measure and makes it less output growth dependent compared with the Solow residual approach. Second, the comparison of both methods shows that the estimate of the TFP growth obtained by the Solow residual approach might be undervalued for manufacturing, electricity, gas and water supply, wholesale and retail trade as well as hotels and restaurants, while overvalued for the growth in the transport, storage and communication sector of the Latvian economy.
|Date of creation:||13 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: K. Valdemara iela 2a, LV-1050 Riga|
Phone: +371 702 2300
Fax: +371 702 2420
Web page: https://www.bank.lv/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hulten, Charles R. & Wykoff, Frank C., 1981. "The estimation of economic depreciation using vintage asset prices : An application of the Box-Cox power transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 367-396, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2001.
"Productivity growth in the 1990s: technology, utilization, or adjustment,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G. & Shapiro, Matthew D., 2001. "Productivity growth in the 1990s: technology, utilization, or adjustment?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 117-165, December.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2001. "Productivity Growth in the 1990s: Technology, Utilization, or Adjustment?," NBER Working Papers 8359, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Andreas & Michael J Dueker & Robert D Dittmar, 2003.
"Stochastic Capital Depreciation and the Comovement of Hours and Productivity,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
80, Royal Economic Society.
- Dueker Michael & Fischer Andreas & Dittmar Robert, 2007. "Stochastic Capital Depreciation and the Co-movement of Hours and Productivity," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-24, January.
- Michael Dueker & Andreas Fischer & Robert D. Dittmar, 2002. "Stochastic Capital Depreciation and the Comovement of Hours and Productivity," Working Papers 02.01, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Michael J. Dueker & Andreas M. Fischer & Robert Dittmar, 2004. "Stochastic capital depreciation and the comovement of hours and productivity," Working Papers 2002-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Dittmar, Robert & Dueker, Michael & Fischer, Andreas M, 2002. "Stochastic Capital Depreciation and the Comovement of Hours and Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3192, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Dainis Stikuts, 2006. "Latvia's Macroeconomic Model," Working Papers 2006/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2007.
"Maintenance expenditures and indeterminacy under increasing returns to scale,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 3(2), pages 147-158.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2005. "Maintenance expenditures and indeterminacy under increasing returns to scale," Working Paper Series 2005-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2003. "Capital stocks, capital services, and depreciation: an integrated framework," Bank of England working papers 192, Bank of England.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, .
"Optimal Growth under Endogenous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs,"
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001. "Optimal growth under endogenous depreciation, capital utilization and maintenance costs," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 25(3), pages 543-559, September.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz Tamaritz, 2001. "Optimal Growth under Endogeneous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0101, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Hulten, Charles R., 1986. "Productivity change, capacity utilization, and the sources of efficiency growth," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 31-50.
- Robert Dekle, 1994. "Technological progress and endogenous capital depreciation: evidence from the U.S. and Japan," International Finance Discussion Papers 485, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Swan, Trevor W, 2002. "Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(243), pages 375-80, December.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Dainis Stikuts, 2003. "Measuring Output Gap in Latvia," Working Papers 2003/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Robert J Barro, 1999. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Implications of the Global Evidence for Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 36(107), pages 443-478.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005. "Productivity growth in UK industries, 1970-2000: structural change and the role of ICT," Bank of England working papers 259, Bank of England.
- Good, David F. & Ma, Tongshu, 1999. "The economic growth of Central and Eastern Europe in comparative perspective, 1870 1989," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 103-137, August.
- Charlotta Groth, 2005. "Estimating UK capital adjustment costs," Bank of England working papers 258, Bank of England.
- Susanto Basu & Miles S. Kimball, 1997. "Cyclical Productivity with Unobserved Input Variation," NBER Working Papers 5915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000.
"Raising the Speed Limit: US Economic Growth in the Information Age,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
261, OECD Publishing.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000. "Raising the Speed Limit: U.S. Economic Growth in the Information Age," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 125-236.
- Charlotta Groth & Soledad Nuñez & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2006. "Productivity growth, adjustment costs and variable factor utilisation: the UK case," Bank of England working papers 295, Bank of England.
- Aleksejs Melihovs & Gundars Davidsons, 2006. "The Role of Production Progress and Human Capital in the Economic Growth of Latvia," Working Papers 2006/03, Latvijas Banka.
- David Cass, 1965. "Optimum Growth in an Aggregative Model of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 233-240.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ltv:wpaper:200903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Konstantins Benkovskis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.