Endogenous capital utilization in a neoclassical growth model
This paper introduces a variable rate of capital utilization and depreciation into a modified Ramsey-type neoclassical growth model via the well-known concept of pure user cost. The optimal utilization rate is found to be determined by the opportunity cost of holding capital or the net real interest rate. As a consequence, this rate may vary in the short run, so total services of capital become a control rather than a state variable. Furthermore, the introduction of a variable utilization rate yields a slower rate of convergence toward the steady state, inducing more persistence in the transitional dynamics. To illustrate how the endogenous choice of utilization acts on the system, some simulations are carried out, including the transition period when there is a temporary fall in the exogenous real interest rate. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2001
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Suite 650, International Tower, 229 Peachtree Street, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30303|
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, O. & Rhee, C. & Summers, L., 1990.
"The Stock Market, Profit And Investment,"
RCER Working Papers
233, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995.
"Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale,"
NBER Working Papers
5125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995. "Capital utilization and returns to scale," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 95-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Burnside, C & Eichenbaum, M & Rebelo, S, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," RCER Working Papers 402, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," CEPR Discussion Papers 1221, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
- Ambler, Steve & Paquet, Alain, 1994. "Stochastic Depreciation and the Business Cycle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 101-16, February.
- Ingram, B.F. & DeJong, D.N. & Whiteman, C.H. & Wen, Y., 1996.
"Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital,"
96-12, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- David N. DeJong & Beth F. Ingram & Yi Wen & Charles H. Whiteman, 1996. "Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital," Macroeconomics 9609004, EconWPA.
- David N. DeJong & Beth F. Ingram & Charles H. Whiteman, 1995.
"Keynes vs. Prescott and Solow: Identifying Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations,"
9504002, EconWPA, revised 18 Apr 1995.
- DeJong, D.N. & Ingram, B.F. & Whiteman, C.H., 1995. "Keynes vs. Prescott and Solow: Identifying Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations," Working Papers 95-06, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Johnson, Paul A., 1994. "Capital utilization and investment when capital depreciates in use: some implications and tests," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 243-259.
- Auernheimer, Leonardo & Saving, Thomas R, 1977. "Market Organization and the Durability of Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 219-28, January.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Leonardo Auernheimer, 1986. "Variable Depreciation and Some of Its Implications," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 99-113, February.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1975. "Efficient and Optimal Utilization of Capital Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 181-86, March.
- Steve Ambler & Alain Paquet, 1992. "Stochastic Depreciation and the Business Cycle Puzzle," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 8, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:06 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:29:y:2001:i:2:p:121-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.