Keynes vs. Prescott and Solow: Identifying Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations
Who was closer to the source of business cycle fluctuations--Keynes or Prescott and Solow? Two types of business-cycle impulses which have been associated with their names -- marginal efficiency of investment shocks (Keynes) and technology shocks (Prescott and Solow) -- are studied here in a neoclassical model which builds on the Greenwood, Hercowitz, and Huffman (1988) variable-utilization framework. The important parameters of the model are estimated using a Bayesian procedure which accommodates prior uncertainty about their magnitudes; from these estimates, posterior distributions of the two shocks are obtained. The postwar U.S. experience suggests that both shocks are important in understanding fluctuations, but that investment shocks are primarily responsible for beginning and ending recessions. * The University of Pittsburgh ** The University of Iowa
|Date of creation:||12 Apr 1995|
|Date of revision:||18 Apr 1995|
|Note:||Zipped using PKZIP v2.04, encoded using UUENCODE v5.15. Zipped file includes 2 files- (figures.doc, kvsdd330.doc)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingram, B.F. & Kocherlakota, N.R. & Savin, N.E., 1992.
"Explaining Business Cycles : A Multiple Shock Approach,"
92-09, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Ingram, Beth Fisher & Kocherlakota, Narayana R. & Savin, N. E., 1994. "Explaining business cycles: A multiple-shock approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 415-428, December.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9504002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.