Implementing the Capability Approach with Respect for Individual Valuations : An Illustration with Colombian Data
In many applications of the capability approach it is necessary to rank individuals with respect to their well-being. This raises the dicult question of how to select the weights to be attached to the relevant functionings or capabilities. We explore the possibility to use individual valuations to set these weights and we propose the equivalent income measure as a specic well-being measure which is consistent with these individual valuations. We discuss its implementation and compare the results to four alternative well-being measures based on Colombian data for 2008: income, subjective well-being, the ocial SISBEN index, and the Colombian Multidimensional Poverty Index (CMPI). We nd that there is remarkable little overlap between the dierent measures. Dierent well-being measures identify dierent people as worst-o. This nding highlights the empirical relevance of the selection of the well-being measure when implementing the capability approach.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2009. "Counting and Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp007, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sabina Alkire & James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and misunderstandings of multidimensional poverty measurement," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 9(2), pages 289-314, June.
- James E. Foster & Sabina Alkire, 2011. "Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," Working Papers 2011-18, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp043, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Paul Anand & Cristina Santos & Ron Smith, 2007. "The measurement of capabilities," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 67, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2016036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.