Linear prices for non-convex electricity markets: models and algorithms
Strict Linear Pricing in non-convex markets is a mathematical impossibility. In the context of electricity markets, two different classes of solutions have been proposed to this conundrum on both sides of the Atlantic. We formally describe these two approaches in a common framework, review and analyze their main properties, and discuss their shortcomings. In US, some orders are not settled at the market price, but at their bidding price, deviating from uniform pricing (all orders are financially settled at the same prices). This creates a disincentive to bid one's own true cost, and creates a missing money problem for the clearing house of the market. In Europe, all accepted orders are in-the-money are settled at the uniform market price. This implies that the welfare-maximizing solution is considered infeasible and also that the optimization problem is much less convex and more difficult to solve. This also creates fairness issues for orders of small volume, and the solution obtained does not implement a Walrasian equilibrium. Based on this analysis we propose a new model that draws on both approaches and retains their best theoretical properties. We also show how the different approaches compare on classical toy problem.
|Date of creation:||28 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,FranÃ§ois, 2011.
"A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521715348, October.
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,FranÃ§ois, 2011. "A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521887427, October.
- O'Neill, Richard P. & Sotkiewicz, Paul M. & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Rothkopf, Michael H. & Stewart, William R., 2005. "Efficient market-clearing prices in markets with nonconvexities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 269-285, July.
- Herbert Scarf, 1994. "The Allocation of Resources in the Presence of Indivisibilities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 111-128, Fall.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1994. "The Allocation of Resources in the Presence of Indivisibilities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1068, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Belleflamme,Paul & Peitz,Martin, 2010. "Industrial Organization," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521681599, November.
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2011050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.