Does the seller of a house facing a large number of buyers always decrease its price when its first offer is rejected?
This paper investigates the optimal price sequence of a two period tentative to sell an indivisible good, with take-it-or-leave-it offers, in which the seller faces ambiguity about the buyers' willingness to pay. If the first round fails, the seller updates its beliefs on the state of the market in accordance with Bayes rule and quotes a second and final price. We show that the optimal sequence of prices can be increasing. Furthermore, we describe the optimal sequence of prices with a myopic seller who does not update his beliefs in the second period. In this case, the optimal price sequence is always decreasing.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+352) 46 66 44
Fax: (+352) 46 66 44 ext 633
Web page: http://wwwen.uni.lu/research/fdef/crea
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Binmore, 1980. "Nash Bargaining Theory II (Now published in The Economics of Bargaining, edited by K. Binmore and P. Dasgupta, Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1987.)," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1980/14, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521681599 is not listed on IDEAS
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, March.
- Ken Binmore, 1980. "Nash Bargaining Theory III (Now published in The Economics of Bargaining, edited by K. Binmore and P. Dasgupta, (Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1987).)," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1980/15, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1983. "Sequential Bargaining with Incomplete Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 221-47, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:luc:wpaper:11-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisa Ferreira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.