Inefficiency of competitive equilibrium with hidden action and financial markets
In this paper, we study a pure exchange economy with idiosyncratic uncertainty, hidden action and multiple consumption goods.We consider two different market structures: contingent markets on the one hand, and financial and spot markets on the otherhand. We propose a competitive equilibrium concept for each market structure. We show that the equilibrium with contin-gent markets is efficient in an appropriate sense, while the equilibrium with financial and spot markets is inefficient, provided that assumptions on preferences more general than those usually considered in the literature hold.
|Date of creation:||00 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malinvaud, E., 1972. "The allocation of individual risks in large markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 312-328, April.
- Richard J. Arnott & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983.
"Moral Hazard and Optimal Commodity Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2069, David K. Levine.
- Marcos B. Lisboa, 2001. "Moral hazard and general equilibrium in large economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 555-575.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:101:y:1986:i:2:p:229-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnott, Richard & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1994.
"Information and economic efficiency,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 77-82, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "On moral hazard in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 8-23, February.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1998. "The effects of moral hazard on asset prices when financial markets are complete," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 39-56, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2006096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.