Temporary bubbles in an economy with under-accumulation
This paper studies the equilibrium dynamics of an overlapping generations model with capital, money and cash-in-advance constraints. At each date the economy can experience two different regimes. In the first one the cash-inadvance constraint is binding and money is a dominated asset. In the second one, the constraint is strictly satisfied and money has the same return as capital. When the second regime holds on some finite interval, we say that the economy experiences a temporary bubble. We prove that temporary bubbles can exist in an economy which would experience under accumulation without money. We also show, in an example, that cyclical bubbles and sunspot equilibria may occur. Finally, we prove that money creation has the power to eliminate bubbles.
|Date of creation:||00 Dec 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Champ, Bruce & Freeman, Scott, 1990. "Money, Output, and the Nominal National Debt," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 390-97, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9781107003491 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gahvari, Firouz, 1988. "Lump-sum taxation and the superneutrality and optimum quantity of money in life cycle growth models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 339-367, August.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- CRETTEZ, Bertrand & MICHEL, Philippe & WIGNIOLLE, Bertrand, 1998.
"Cash-in-advance constraints in the diamond overlapping generations model: neutrality and optimality of monetary policies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Crettez, Bertrand & Michel, Philippe & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 1999. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 431-52, July.
- Crettez, B. & Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 1997. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 97.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2000061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.