Multi-regime models for nonlinear nonstationary time series
Nonlinear nonstationary models for time series are considered, where the series is generated from an autoregressive equation whose coe±cients change both according to time and the delayed values of the series itself, switching between several regimes. The transition from one regime to the next one may be discontinuous (self-exciting threshold model), smooth (smooth transition model) or continuous linear (piecewise linear threshold model). A genetic algorithm for identifying and estimating such models is proposed, and its behavior is evaluated through a simulation study and application to temperature data and a financial index.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Chatterjee, Sangit & Laudato, Matthew & Lynch, Lucy A., 1996. "Genetic algorithms and their statistical applications: an introduction," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 633-651, October.
- Wu, Berlin & Chang, Chih-Li, 2002. "Using genetic algorithms to parameters (d,r) estimation for threshold autoregressive models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 315-330, January.
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos Protopapas, 2009.
"Time-varying Multi-regime Models Fitting by Genetic Algorithms,"
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos K. Protopapas, 2011. "Time‐varying multi‐regime models fitting by genetic algorithms," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 237-252, 05.
- Baragona, Roberto & Battaglia, Francesco & Calzini, Claudio, 2001. "Genetic algorithms for the identification of additive and innovation outliers in time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-12, July.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Carrasco, Marine, 2002. "Misspecified Structural Change, Threshold, and Markov-switching models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 239-273, August.
- Baragona, R. & Battaglia, F. & Cucina, D., 2004. "Fitting piecewise linear threshold autoregressive models by means of genetic algorithms," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 277-295, September.
- Davis, Richard A. & Lee, Thomas C.M. & Rodriguez-Yam, Gabriel A., 2006. "Structural Break Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 223-239, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:com:wpaper:026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.