Data Revisions and the Output Gap
Preliminary and delayed Colombian GDP reports are replaced with optimal in-sample now-casts of true" GDP figures derived from a model for data revisions. The new GDP time series is augmented with optimal out-of-sample forecasts and back-casts of the "true" GDP figures derived from the same model. The trend-cycle component of the augmented GDP series is filtered. The resulting gap is more resistant than the ordinary HP filter to the end of sample optimal filtering problem as well as to GDP revisions and delays. The short term noise of the final output gap estimate is also reduced. Adjusting for data revisions and delays reduce the uncertainty of estimated gaps. The extended and further extended HP estimates of the output gap show an impressive efficiency gain with respect to the ordinary HP gap, 43% and 47% respectively, on average. The new extension increases the efficiency in 7.4%, on average, with respect to extended HP estimates. These results constitute a benchmark to future work on real time estimation of the output gap under GDP revisions and delays in Colombia."
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, 2011.
"Modeling Data Revisions,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007929, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan Manuel Julio, 2011. "Modeling Data Revisions," Borradores de Economia 641, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- S. Boragan Aruoba, 2008. "Data Revisions Are Not Well Behaved," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 319-340, 03.
- Aruoba, Boragan, 2005. "Data Revisions Are Not Well-Behaved," CEPR Discussion Papers 5271, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0909, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Garratt, Anthony & Mitchell, James & Vahey, Shaun, 2010. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring output gap uncertainty," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/15, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Ehlgen, Jurgen, 1998. "Distortionary effects of the optimal Hodrick-Prescott filter," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 345-349, December.
- Kaiser, Regina & Maravall, Agustin, 2005. "Combining filter design with model-based filtering (with an application to business-cycle estimation)," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 691-710.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2004. "Combining filter design with model based filtering (with an application to business cycle estimation)," Working Papers 0417, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & van Norden, Simon, 2011. "Modeling data revisions: Measurement error and dynamics of "true" values," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 101-109, April.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Working Papers 9912, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Alejandro López & Carolina Gómez & Norberto Rodríguez, 1996. "La Caida de la Tasa de Ahorro en Colombia Durante los Años Noventa: Evidencia a Partir de una Base de Datos para el Período 1950-1993," Borradores de Economia 057, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alejandro López & Carolina Gómez & Norberto Rodríguez, 1996. "La caida de la tasa de Ahorro en Colombia durante los años noventa: Evidencia a partir de una base de datos para el período 1950-1993," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002945, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:007956. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.