The Hodrick-Prescott filter with priors: linear restrictions on HP filters
A closed formula for the Hodrick & Prescott, HP, filter subject to linear restrictions is derived. This filter is also known as the HP filter with priors. When the formula is applied to the ordinary HP filter linear restrictions apply only within the sample. However, when this formula is applied to the extended HP filter and extensions that correct for GDP revisions and delays, linear restrictions apply out of sample also.
|Date of creation:||19 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter,"
9912, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, 2011.
"Modeling Data Revisions,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007929, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Kaiser, Regina & Maravall, Agustin, 2005.
"Combining filter design with model-based filtering (with an application to business-cycle estimation),"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 691-710.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2004. "Combining filter design with model based filtering (with an application to business cycle estimation)," Working Papers 0417, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Timothy Cogley & James M. Nason, 1993.
"Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series: implications for business cycle research,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M., 1995. "Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series Implications for business cycle research," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 253-278.
- Juan Manuel Julio, 2011.
"Data Revisions and the Output Gap,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007956, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.