Trade In Intermediate Goods In Italian Manufacturing Industries
Due to the emergence of global value chains, trade has increased in intermediates goods. The first objective of the paper is to provide a picture of Italian intermediate imports by industry and over time. Moreover, this paper attempts to study three possible factors than can influence the import of intermediate goods - global sourcing, outsourcing and MNE networks - using pooled cross-section data for the period 1985-2004 for Italian industries. The econometric results point to a different relationship for high and medium-high technology industries and medium-low and low technology industries relative to the role of inward and outward FDI in explaining the imported intermediate demand. The results suggest that outsourcing is important in explaining intermediate imports for medium-low and low technology industries. On the contrary, for high and medium-high technology industries the data give support to the global-sourcing hypothesis while the evidence for the MNE network hypothesis is weak.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0984 492413
Fax: +39 0984 492421
Web page: http://www.unical.it/portale/strutture/dipartimenti_240/disesf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2004.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," IZA Discussion Papers 1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brian Wixted & Norihiko Yamano & Colin Webb, 2006. "Input-Output Analysis in an Increasingly Globalised World: Applications of OECD's Harmonised International Tables," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/7, OECD Publishing.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000.
"Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?,"
96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003. "Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "The rise of offshoring: it's not wine for cloth anymore," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 59-102.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Department of Economics 95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jörn Kleinert, 2000.
"Growing Trade in Intermediate Goods: Outsourcing, Global Sourcing or Increasing Importance of MNE Networks?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1006, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jörn Kleinert, 2003. "Growing Trade in Intermediate Goods: Outsourcing, Global Sourcing, or Increasing Importance of MNE Networks?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 464-482, 08.
- Jö Kleinert, 2001. "The Time Pattern of the Internationalization of Production," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 79-98, 02.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Norihiko Yamano & Nadim Ahmad, 2006. "The OECD Input-Output Database: 2006 Edition," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/8, OECD Publishing.
- Koen De Backer & Norihiko Yamano, 2007. "The Measurement of Globalisation using International Input-Output Tables," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2007/8, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clb:wpaper:200915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Dodero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.