Economic Policy, Tourism Trade and Productive Diversification
Over the past two decades, tourism exports have been a major driver of economic growth in many emerging and developing countries. Yet, increased tourism revenues do not automatically translate into structural transformation and broad-based economic development. Drawing on cross-sectional data, this paper gauges the extent to which tourism has contributed to economic diversification in a large sample of developing countries. An econometric model is used to assess the relative importance of a country’s natural endowments, level of development, institutional maturity, business environment, and trade regulations in explaining cross-country differences in linkages between tourism and the general economy. The central findings contain encouraging lessons for developing countries: domains that are more amenable to policy interventions in the short term, such as the business environment or trade regulations, matter most in fostering productive linkages between tourism and the general economy. In contrast, fixed factors, such as land availability, or longer-terms goals, such as advances in the level of development, have less influence.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rinaldo Brau & Adriana Di Liberto & Francesco Pigliaru, 2011.
"Tourism and Development: A Recent Phenomenon Built on Old (Institutional) Roots?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 444-472, 03.
- Francesco Pigliaru & Rinaldo Brau & Adriana Di Liberto, 2010. "Tourism and Development: A Recent Phenomenon Built on Old (Institutional) Roots?," Working Papers 2010.16, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Francesco Pigliaru & Adriana Di Liberto & Rinaldo Brau, 2011. "Tourism and Development: A recent phenomenon built on old (institutional) roots?," ERSA conference papers ersa10p990, European Regional Science Association.
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides, 2010. "Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(3), pages 287-303, September.
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides, 2009. "Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence," Working Paper Series 41_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Glenn Jenkins & HEDI LAHOUEL, 1981. "Inflation And Taxation," Development Discussion Papers 1981-08, JDI Executive Programs.
- Richard Newfarmer & William Shaw & Peter Walkenhorst, 2009. "Breaking Into New Markets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2616, August.
- Chen, Lein Lein & Devereux, John, 1999. "Tourism and Welfare in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(2), pages 209-227, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2013-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.