Crisis Financieras Internacionales, Prestamista de Última Instancia y Nueva Arquitectura Financiera Internacional
The international financial system (IFS) has undergone a series of financial crises over the past decade.This paper analyzes the shortcomings of said system (that have contributed to the crises) and, with them in mind, reviews and evaluates the IFS reform proposals for a “New International Financial Architecture.” These proposals are intended to resolve IFS imperfections on three fronts: better crisis prevention, better crisis resolution, and better governance at the IMF, the international quasi lender of last resort. Although a number of the proposals are academic, they have been useful for the reforms that the IMF has either implemented or supported actively. These include adopting standards and codes in 12 key areas for domestic and international financial stability, such as improved country monitoring, stricter conditions for financial aid granted to countries in crisis, better IMF governance, and new collective action clauses in issuing sovereign bonds. In contrast, the IMF has found no significant support for its proposals of creating a contingent credit line and adopting mechanisms to restructure sovereign debts. But no IFS reform is a good substitute for good fundamentals at the country level, that reflect strong macroeconomic and structural policies, the best way to reduce the probability of occurrence of liquidity or solvency crises.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2000.
"Would Collective Action Clauses Raise Borrowing Costs?,"
NBER Working Papers
7458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 1999. "Would Collective Action Clauses Raise Borrowing Costs?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2343, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999.
"International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," NBER Working Papers 7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2002. "Globalization Hazard and Delayed Reform in Emerging Markets," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 1-31, January.
- Guillermo Ortíz, 2002. "Crisis recientes en mercados emergentes: ¿Qué es lo que hemos aprendido?," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(4), pages 155-187, octubre-d.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2003.
"Is Aggregation a Problem for Sovereign Debt Restructuring?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 80-84, May.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 2003. "Is Aggregation a Problem for Sovereign Debt Restructuring?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raffer, Kunibert, 1990. "Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-311, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.