Coping with Chile’s External Vulnerability: A Financial Problem
With traditional domestic imbalances long under control, the Chilean business cycle is driven by external shocks. Most importantly, Chile’s external vulnerability is primarily a financial problem. A decline in the Chilean terms of trade, for example, is associated to a decline in real GDP that is many times larger than one would predict in the presence of perfect financial markets. The financial nature of this excess-sensitivity has two central dimensions: a sharp contraction in Chile’s access to international financial markets when it needs it the most; and an inefficient reallocation of this scarce access across domestic borrowers during external crises. In this paper I characterize this financial mechanism and argue that Chile’s aggregate volatility can be reduced significantly by fostering the private sector’s development of financial instruments that are contingent on Chile’s main external shocks. As a first step, the Central Bank or IFIs could issue a benchmark instrument contingent on these shocks. I also advocate a countercyclical monetary policy but mainly for incentive —that is, as a substitute for taxes on capital inflows and equivalent measures— rather than for ex-post liquidity purposes.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Zoega, Gylfi, 2001.
"Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2006. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(8), pages 1091-1115, 08.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," EPRU Working Paper Series 01-02, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2002. "Natural Resources And Economic Growth: The Role Of Investment," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 142, Central Bank of Chile.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2004. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_011, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1999. "Introduction to "The Financing of Catastrophe Risk"," NBER Chapters, in: The Financing of Catastrophe Risk, pages 1-22 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000.
"International and Domestic Collateral Constraints in a Model of Emerging Market Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
7971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2001. "International and domestic collateral constraints in a model of emerging market crises," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 513-548, December.
- Cummins, J. David & Lalonde, David & Phillips, Richard D., 2004.
"The basis risk of catastrophic-loss index securities,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 77-111, January.
- J. David Cummins & David Lalonde & Richard D. Phillips, 2000. "The Basis Risk of Catastrophic-Loss Index Securities," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-22, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Andrea Tokman Ramos, 2002. "Is Private Education Better? Evidence from Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 147, Central Bank of Chile.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1999. "The Financing of Catastrophe Risk," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number froo99-1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.