The Cyclical Behavior of External Indebtedness: The Case of Foreign and Domestic Banks in Colombia
In this paper we try to elucidate the relationship between foreign and domestic banks external indebtedness and the business cycle in Colombia. After a brief review of related literature, we characterize the historical behavior of banking external indebtedness in Colombia, and perform statistical and econometric calculations on the aforementioned relationship.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mauricio Avella & Leopoldo Fergusson, .
"El Ciclo Económico Enfoques e Ilustraciones Los Ciclos Económicos de Estados Unidos y Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
284, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mauricio Avella Gómez & Leopoldo Fergusson T., 2004. "El ciclo económico - Enfoques e ilustraciones - Los ciclos económicos de Estados Unidos y Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002465, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile,"
Research Department Publications
4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," NBER Working Papers 10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Linda Goldberg & B. Gerard Dages & Daniel Kinney, 2000.
"Foreign and Domestic Bank Participation in Emerging Markets: Lessons from Mexico and Argentina,"
NBER Working Papers
7714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Gerard Dages & Linda Goldberg & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and domestic bank participation in emerging markets: lessons from Mexico and Argentina," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 17-36.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2002.
"Coping with Chile’s External Vulnerability: A Financial Problem,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
154, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ricardo Caballero G, 2002. "Coping With Chile’s External Vulnerability: A Financial Problem," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 5(1), pages 11-36, April.
- Ricardo Caballero, 2002. "Coping with Chile´s External Vulnerability: a Financial Problem," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Economic Growth: Sources, Trends, and Cycles, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 12, pages 377-416 Central Bank of Chile.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Claudio Borio & Craig Furfine & Philip Lowe, 2001. "Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 1-57 Bank for International Settlements.
- Linda Goldberg, 2004. "Financial-sector foreign direct investment and host countries: new and old lessons," Staff Reports 183, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000.
"Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 44(Jun), pages 145-185.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000. "Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-62.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Crivelli, Juan Miguel & Cull, Robert, 2005. "The direct and indirect impact of bank privatization and foreign entry on access to credit in Argentina's provinces," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 5-29, January.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in the financial sector of emerging market economies," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 22, April.
- Jennifer S. Crystal & B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Has foreign bank entry led to sounder banks in Latin America?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 8(Jan).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.