Shipping inside the Box: Containerization and Trade
We quantify the effect of container technology on transport costs and trade by estimating the modal choice between containerization and breakbulk shipping using micro-level trade data. The model is motivated by novel facts that relate container usage to shipment, destination and firm characteristics. We find container transport to have a higher first-mile cost and a lower distance elasticity, making it cost effective in longer distances. At the median distance across all country pairs, the box decreases variable shipping costs between 16 to 22 percent. The box explains a significant amount of the global trade increase since its inception: a quantitative exercise suggests that Turkish and U.S. maritime exports would have been about two-thirds of what they are today in the absence of containers.
|Date of creation:||2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coşar, A. Kerem & Demir, Banu, 2016.
"Domestic road infrastructure and international trade: Evidence from Turkey,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 232-244.
- A. Kerem Cosar & Banu Demir, 2014. "Domestic Road Infrastructure and International Trade: Evidence from Turkey," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1406, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Pascali, Luigi, 2014. "The Wind of Change: Maritime Technology, Trade and Economic Development," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 1049, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Luigi Pascali, 2014. "The wind of change: Maritime technology, trade and economic development," Economics Working Papers 1428, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Pascali, Luigi, 2014. "The Wind of Change: Maritime Technology, Trade and Economic Development," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 195, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Luigi Pascali, 2014. "The Wind of Change: Maritime Technology, Trade and Economic Development," Working Papers 764, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & El-Sahli, Zouheir & Kneller, Richard, 2016. "Estimating the effects of the container revolution on world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 36-50.
- Daniel Bernhofen & Zouheir El-Sahli & Richard Kneller, 2013. "Estimating The Effects of the Container Revolution on World Trade," Discussion Papers 2013-02, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Daniel M. Bernhofen & Zouheir El-Sahli & Richard Kneller, 2013. "Estimating the Effects of the Container Revolution on World Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 4136, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & El-Sahli, Zouheir & Kneller, Richard, 2013. "Estimating the Effects of the Container Revolution on World Trade," Working Papers 2013:4, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H. & Larch, Mario & Yotov, Yoto V., 2015. "Economic integration agreements, border effects, and distance elasticities in the gravity equation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 307-327.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey & Larch, Mario & Yotov, Yoto, 2013. "Economic Integration Agreements, Border Effects, and Distance Elasticities in the Gravity Equation," School of Economics Working Paper Series 2013-7, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Jeffrey H. Bergstrand & Mario Larch & Yoto V. Yotov, 2013. "Economic Integation Agreements, Border Effects, and Distance Elasticities in the Gravity Equation," CESifo Working Paper Series 4502, CESifo Group Munich.
- Micco, Alejandro & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2006. "Competition regimes and air transport costs: The effects of open skies agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-51, September.
- Alejandro Micco & Tomás Serebrisky, 2008. "Competition Regimes and Air Transport Costs: The Effects of Open Skies Agreement," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3688, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Harrigan, James, 2010. "Airplanes and comparative advantage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 181-194, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_6311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.