Exchange Rates and Asset Prices: Heterogeneous Agents at Work
This paper merges two branches of the literature. On one hand we study a heterogeneous agents framework to model exchange rates and stock prices. On the other hand we model the relationship between these two series through a DSGE model. Investors choose one of two rules to form their expectations. One rule is based on an open economy model, which reacts to the information from the financial markets. The second rule follows a backward looking approach. We find that when DSGE agents misinterpret the information coming from the financial markets as exogenous productivity shocks they unknowingly amplify the volatility of these markets. The simulated series replicate the stylized facts of real data. We also estimate the DSGE and chartists expectations, and we find that our DSGE agents make output forecasts that are not qualitatively different than the DSGE forecasts from the recent Bayesian literature.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik H., 2010.
"The diversity of forecasts from macroeconomic models of the U.S. economy,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2010/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Volker Wieland & Maik Wolters, 2011. "The diversity of forecasts from macroeconomic models of the US economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 47(2), pages 247-292, June.
- Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik H, 2010. "The Diversity of Forecasts from Macroeconomic Models of the U.S. Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H., 1996.
"Hetergeneous Beliefs and Routes to Chaos in a Simple Asset Pricing Model,"
9621, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H., 1998. "Heterogeneous beliefs and routes to chaos in a simple asset pricing model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1235-1274, August.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2001.
"Explaining international comovements of output and asset returns: The role of money and nominal rigidities,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1547-1583, October.
- Robert Kollmann, 2001. "Explaining international comovements of output and asset returns: the role of money and nominal rigidities," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7632, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert Miguel W. K. Kollman, 1999. "Explaining International Comovements of Output and Asset Returns; The Role of Money and Nominal Rigidities," IMF Working Papers 99/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Engel, Charles & Hamilton, James D, 1990. "Long Swings in the Dollar: Are They in the Data and Do Markets Know It?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 689-713, September.
- Sheng-Yung Yang & Shuh-Chyi Doong, 2004. "Price and Volatility Spillovers between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from the G-7 Countries," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(2), pages 139-153, August.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2008.
"International Portfolios, Capital Accumulation and Foreign Assets Dynamics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6902, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2010. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 100-112, January.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2010. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2010. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Post-Print hal-01052901, HAL.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2009. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 27, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert Miguel W. K. & Martin, Philippe J., 2008. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Devereux, Michael B & Sutherland, Alan, 2006.
"Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2007. "Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models," Working Papers 162007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2007. "Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models," IMF Working Papers 07/284, International Monetary Fund.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H., 1996.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
9530r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kurz, Mordecai & Piccillo, Giulia & Wu, Howei, 2013. "Modeling diverse expectations in an aggregated New Keynesian Model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1403-1433.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Bala Ramasamy & Matthew C.H. Yeung, 2005. "The Causality Between Stock Returns And Exchange Rates: Revisited," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 162-169, 06.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Giorgio Di Giorgio & Salvatore Nistico, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Stock Prices in an Open Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(8), pages 1947-1985, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.