Efficiency and Convergence in the Jamaican banking sector 1998-2007
Deregulation, re-regulation and continuing globalisation embody an imperative that banks increase efficiency to survive. We employ non-parametric bootstrap DEA to measure technical efficiency among Jamaican banks between 1998 and 2007. In addition, we test for conditional convergence to identify pointing variables for technical efficiency. Overall, the results suggest that there has been a tendency towards improvement in bank efficiency levels for the largest banks. The findings show strong evidence of conditional convergence, which means that each bank is converging to its own steady-state and that GDP growth, ownership and size are the major influences on levels of technical efficiency.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20874417
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874419
Web page: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/research/academic-sections/economics/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daley, J & Matthews, Kent & Whitfield, Keith, 2006.
"Too-Big-To-Fail: Bank Failure and Banking Policy in Jamaica,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2006/4, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Daley, J. & Matthews, K. & Whitfield, K., 2008. "Too-big-to-fail: Bank failure and banking policy in Jamaica," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 290-303, July.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Rasoul Rezvanian, 2002. "A comparative multiproduct cost study of foreign-owned and domestic-owned US banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 271-284.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Allen N. Berger & John H. Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The efficiency of bank branches,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998.
"A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Zhou, Mingming, 2009. "Bank ownership and efficiency in China: What will happen in the world's largest nation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 113-130, January.
- Li, Shanling, et al, 2001. " Comparative Performance of Chinese Commercial Banks: Analysis, Findings and Policy Implications," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 149-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdf:wpaper:2009/30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Webb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.