The Debate on Agriculture-Industry Terms of Trade in India
In this paper, we focus on the vast literature that involved analysis of the agriculture-industry terms of trade in India. We first state the key policy issues that are found to be associated with changes in terms of trade variable, and subsequently discuss specific issues concerning the empirical estimation of agricultural terms of trade. We find that the barter terms of trade measure may not only be subject to an aggregation error associated with the index number construction, but is also exposed to the aggregation problems of empirical estimation. We also undertake a set of statistical tests to examine the difference among various agricultural net barter terms of trade series on India. The results indicate that in spite of the methodological differences, the alternate series reflect similar attributes over comparable time periods.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Delhi 110 007|
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. Palanivel, 1995. "Aggregate Supply Responses in Indian Agriculture: Some Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 251-263, July.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-1874, December.
- Dantwala, M.L., 1967. "Incentives and Disincentives in Indian Agriculture," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2).
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1997.
"Macroeconomic Crises and Poverty Monitoring: A Case Study for India,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 135-152, June.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Macroeconomic crises and poverty monitoring," FCND discussion papers 20, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Macroeconomic crises and poverty monitoring : a case study for India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1685, The World Bank.
- Rangarajan, C., 1982. "Agricultural growth and industrial performance in India:," Research reports 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E, 1997. "Aggregate Agricultural Supply Response in Developing Countries: A Survey of Selected Issues," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E., 1995. "Aggregate agricultural supply response in developing countries : a survey of selected issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1485, The World Bank.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G & Kumar, Mohan S, 1989. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 861-888, July.
- M. H. Pesaran & R. G. Pierse & M. S. Kumar, 1988. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," UCLA Economics Working Papers 485, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ghose, A K, 1989. "Rural Poverty and Relative Prices in India," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 307-331, June.
- Martin Ravallion & Gaurav Datt, 1996. "India's Checkered History in Fight against Poverty: Are There Lessons for the Future?," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-33, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1989. "Getting agricultural prices right," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 28-42, February.
- N. Jayaram & Surendra K. Gupta & A.P. Barnabas & Sachchidananda & P.S. Pachauri & M.L. Khattar & B.N. Sampath & H. R. Khanna, 1985. "India," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 177-179, January.
- Lee, Kevin C & Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G, 1990. "Testing for Aggregation Bias in Linear Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 137-150, Supplemen.
- Madan, B.K., 1958. "Presidential Address," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 13(1). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.