The Empirical Properties of Some Popular Estimators of Long Memory Processes
We present the results of a simulation study into the properties of 12 different estimators of the Hurst parameter, H, or the fractional integration parameter, d, in long memory time series. We compare and contrast their performance on simulated Fractional Gaussian Noises and fractionally integrated series with lengths between 100 and 10,000 data points and H values between 0.55 and 0.90 or d values between 0.05 and 0.40. We apply all 12 estimators to the Campito Mountain data and estimate the accuracy of their estimates using the Beran goodness of t test for long memory time series.
|Date of creation:||26 Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Chung, Sang-Kuck, 2002. "Modeling and forecasting from trend-stationary long memory models with applications to climatology," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 215-226.
- Lobato, I. & Robinson, P. M., 1996. "Averaged periodogram estimation of long memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 303-324, July.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Chen, Willa W., 2000. "On the integral of the squared periodogram," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 159-176, January.
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999.
"Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter,"
39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter," Econometrics 9710002, EconWPA.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Robinson, Peter M. & Surgailis, Donatas, 1999. "Variance-type estimation of long memory," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:08/13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.