Economic Efficiency and the Proceduralisation of Company Law
This paper extends the analysis carried out by the authors for the UK Law Commissions and published as Part 3 of the Consultation Paper on Directors, Duties (September 1998). After considering some of the potential uses of economics in company law, the paper develops a theoretical framework which relates company law to a wider set of corporate governance mechanisms which operate to mitigate risk and uncertainty in contractual relations. This framework is then applied to provisions relating to self-dealing and conflicts of interests under Part X of the Companies Act 1985. It is argued that in this and related contexts, the economic role of company law should be seen as promoting cooperation and the sharing of information and risk between corporate actors, a function described in terms of the 'proceduralisation' of company law.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, P. & Hermalin, B., 1990.
"Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-14, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, Philippe & Hermalin, Benjamin, 1990. "Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 381-409, Fall.
- Coase, R H, 1996. "Law and Economics and A. W. Brian Simpson," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 103-19, January.
- Easterbrook, Frank H & Fischel, Daniel R, 1993. "Contract and Fiduciary Duty," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 425-51, April.
- Simon Deakin & Stephen Pratten, 1999. "Competitiveness Policy and Economic Organisation: The Case of the British Film Industry," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp127, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.