Unemployment and Product Market Competition in a Cournot Model with Efficiency Wage
This paper analyzes the impact of product market competition on unemployment, wage and welfare in a model where unemployment is caused by efficiency wage considerations and oligopolistic firms compete in quantity. It is shown that while more intensive competition in product market increases output and reduces price, it does not necessarily lead to a lower unemployment rate or a higher wage for workers. Consequently, the relationship between the intensity of competition and the level of employment (respectively, wage, welfare) is not monotonic, and, in some instances, has an inverted-U shape.
|Date of creation:||17 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published: Carleton Economic Papers|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C870 Loeb Building, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boeri, Tito & Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2000.
"Regulation And Labour Market Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Spector, David, 2004.
"Competition and the capital-labor conflict,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 25-38, February.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1999. "Product markets and labour markets1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Amable, Bruno & Gatti, Donatella, 2000.
"Is perfection optimal? Employment and product market competition,"
Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment
FS I 00-304, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Bruno Amable & Donatella Gatti, 2005. "Is Perfection Optimal? Employment and Product Market Competition," Macroeconomics 0507008, EconWPA.
- Paul Geroski & Paul Gregg & John van Reenen, 1995. "Market Imperfections and Employment," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 5, OECD Publishing.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Unemployment in the OECD Since the 1960s. What Do We Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 1-27, 01.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Gerard-Varet, Louis-Andre, 1989.
"Unemployment in an Extended Cournot Oligopoly Model,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(3), pages 490-505, July.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET, Louis-André, . "Unemployment in an extended Cournot oligopoly model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 843, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gersbach, Hans, 2000. "Promoting Product Market Competition to Reduce Unemployment in Europe: An Alternative Approach?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 117-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:car:carecp:10-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Robineau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.