A Distributional Analysis of Treatment Effects on Subpopulations of a Socioeconomic Experiment
When analyzing treatment effects, the average treatment value is frequently compared to that of the control group. This approach, naturally, is not particularly informative about specifc regions of the treatment and control distributions. For this reason and having in view a specifc application, in the present paper we consider tests that provide us with more detailed analysis of treatments and their effectiveness. The tests are based on comparing the treatment and control distributions (e.g., whether they are equal, one dominates another, or intersect) over their entire or partial domains of definition. The test of intersection of distributions is introduced in the paper with the scope of pinpointing the region of the tested distribution that is subject to an adverse treatment effect. We illustrate the tests on a simulation study which is based on a matched data and apply them to analyze the Pennsylvania Bonus Experiment.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:||05 Feb 2010|
|Publication status:||Published: Carleton Economic Papers|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- James J. Heckman, 1989.
"Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods for Estimating the Impact of Social Programs: The Case of Manpower Training,"
NBER Working Papers
2861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, J.J. & Hotz, V.J., 1988. "Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods For Estimating The Impact Of Social Programs: The Case Of Manpower Training," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 88-12, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Susan Athey & Guido W. Imbens, 2006.
"Identification and Inference in Nonlinear Difference-in-Differences Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 431-497, 03.
- Susan Athey & Guido W. Imbens, 2002. "Identification and Inference in Nonlinear Difference-In-Differences Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan Athey & Guido Imbens, 2003. "Identification and Inference in Nonlinear Difference-in-Differences Models," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000079, David K. Levine.
- Bruce D. Meyer & W. Kip Viscusi & David L. Durbin, 1990.
"Workers' Compensation and Injury Duration: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
NBER Working Papers
3494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Bruce D & Viscusi, W Kip & Durbin, David L, 1995. "Workers' Compensation and Injury Duration: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 322-40, June.
- Yannis Bilias & Roger Koenker, 2001. "Quantile regression for duration data: A reappraisal of the Pennsylvania Reemployment Bonus Experiments," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 199-220.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Schmid, Friedrich & Trede, Mark, 1998. "A Kolmogorov-type test for second-order stochastic dominance," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 183-193, February.
- Anderson, Gordon, 1996. "Nonparametric Tests of Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1183-93, September.
- repec:mpr:mprres:4174 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:mpr:mprres:2588 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Fraker & Rebecca Maynard, 1987. "The Adequacy of Comparison Group Designs for Evaluations of Employment-Related Programs," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(2), pages 194-227.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:car:carecp:09-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Robineau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.