THE USE of CONSORTIA for the INTERNATIONALIZATION of FIRMS – MOTA-ENGIL CASE STUDY
Internationalization has been widely studied throughout the years. Broadly, it has been predicted as irrevocable and having increasing impact on firm-related strategy. Within entry modes, consortium, has not received as much attention as others. Hence, it seems important to understand how this specific entry mode allows the entrance of firms in the international markets. This study intends to answer the question of “how” to internationalize, anticipating the consortium as the most feasible way for construction firms to enter certain markets. The reasons that determine its choice concern the specificness of the projects, markets and of the firm. In the first part of the study, we review the existent literature on consortia as an entry mode and as a tool of internationalization used by construction firms. Through this review we build a framework that reveals the motivations that lead to this choice. In the second part, we present the case study of Mota-Engil, as a potential source of valuable information which may contribute to the understanding of the phenomenon under study. This case study corroborates the motivations found to create consortia. The paper closes with its contributions, limitations and suggestions for future researches.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +351 226 196 200
Fax: +351 226 196 291
Web page: http://www.feg.porto.ucp.pt/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Paul W Beamish & John C Banks, 1987. "Equity Joint Ventures and Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Yadong Luo & Seung Ho Park, 2004. "Multiparty cooperation and performance in international equity joint ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 334-335, July.
- Su, Han Chan & Kensinger, John W. & Keown, Arthur J. & Martin, John D., 1997. "Do strategic alliances create value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 199-221, November.
- T. K. Das, 1996. "Risk Types And Inter-Firm Alliance Structures," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(6), pages 827-843, November.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175820 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yadong Luo & Seung H Park, 2004. "Multiparty cooperation and performance in international equity joint ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 142-160, March.
- M Krishna Erramilli & Sanjeev Agarwal & Chekitan S Dev, 2002. "Choice Between Non-Equity Entry Modes: An Organizational Capability Perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 223-242, June.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Florence Yean Yng Ling & C. William Ibbs & Javier Cuervo, 2005. "Entry and business strategies used by international architectural, engineering and construction firms in China," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 509-520.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Paul Whitla & Peter Walters & Howard Davies, 2006. "The use of global strategies by British construction firms," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(9), pages 945-954.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cap:mpaper:012008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Goncalves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.