Bernstein Approximations to the Copula Function and Portfolio Optimization
The copula function is considered within the context of financial multivariate data sets that are not normally distributed. The Bernstein polynomial approximation to copulae is given and motivated by its desirable properties. The multivariate convergence properties are analysed. The concept of Bernstein copula is introduced as a generalisation of some bivariate and higher dimensional families of copulae. Statistical properties of the Bernstein copula are studied together with implementation issues related to portfolio theory and expected utility optimisation.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe, H., 1993. "Parametric Families of Multivariate Distributions with Given Margins," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 262-282, August.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1983.
"ERAs: A New Approach to Small Sample Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1505-25, September.
- Nelsen, Roger B., 1997. "Dependence and Order in Families of Archimedean Copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 111-122, January.
- Abadir, Karim, 1995.
"An Introduction to Hypergeometric Functions for Economists,"
9510, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Abadir, 1999. "An introduction to hypergeometric functions for economists," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 287-330.
- James Tobin, 1956.
"Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
14, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hagerman, Robert L, 1978. "More Evidence on the Distribution of Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1213-21, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.