Copula Based Monte Carlo Integration in Financial Problems
A computational technique that transform integrals over RK, or some of its subsets, into the hypercube [0, 1]K can be exploited in order to solve integrals via Monte Carlo integration without the need to simulate from the original distribution; all that is needed is to simulate iid uniform [0, 1] pseudo random variables. In particular the technique arises from the copula representation of multivariate distributions and the use of the marginal quantile function of the data. The procedure is further simplified if the quantile function has closed form. Several financial applications are considered in order to highlight the scope of this numerical technique for financial problems
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. V. Andersen & D. Sornette, 1999. "Have your cake and eat it too: increasing returns while lowering large risks!," Papers cond-mat/9907217, arXiv.org.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, April.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- A. Sancetta & Satchell, S.E., 2001. "Bernstein Approximations to the Copula Function and Portfolio Optimization," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0105, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jackwerth, Jens Carsten, 2000.
"Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 433-451.
- Jens Carsten Jackwerth., 1996. "Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-265, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jens Carsten Jackwerth, 1998. "Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns," Finance 9803002, EconWPA.
- Rimas Norvaisa, 2000. "Modelling of stock price changes: A real analysis approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 343-369.
- David E. Bell & Peter C. Fishburn, 2001. "Strong One-Switch Utility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 601-604, April.
- Geweke, John, 1996.
"Monte carlo simulation and numerical integration,"
Handbook of Computational Economics,in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 731-800
- John F. Geweke, 1995. "Monte Carlo simulation and numerical integration," Staff Report 192, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Li, Haijun & Scarsini, Marco & Shaked, Moshe, 1996. "Linkages: A Tool for the Construction of Multivariate Distributions with Given Nonoverlapping Multivariate Marginals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 20-41, January.
- Marco Scarsini & Moshe Shaked & Haijun Li, 1996. "Linkages: A tool for the construction of multivariate distributions with given nonoverlapping multivariate marginals," Post-Print hal-00541800, HAL.
- Scarsini, Marco, 1989. "Copulae of probability measures on product spaces," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 201-219, November.
- Fortin, Ines & Kuzmics, Christoph, 2002. "Tail-Dependence in Stock-Return Pairs," Economics Series 126, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- J. L. Knight & S. E. Satchell & K. C. Tran, 1995. "Statistical modelling of asymmetric risk in asset returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-172.
- Knight, J.L. & Stachell, S.E. & Tran, K.C., 1995. "Statistical Modeling of Asymetric Risk in Asset Returns," Papers 95-3, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
- David E. Bell, 1988. "One-Switch Utility Functions and a Measure of Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(12), pages 1416-1424, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.