Unconditional and Conditional Quantile Treatment Effect: Identification Strategies and Interpretations
This paper reviews strategies that allow one to identify the effects of policy interventions on the unconditional or conditional distribution of the outcome of interest. This distiction is irrelevant when one focuses on average treatment effects since identifying assumptions typically do not affect the parameter's interpretation. Conversely, finding the appropriate answer to a research question on the effects over the distribution requires particular attention in the choice of the identification strategy. Indeed, quantiles of the conditional and unconditional distribution of a random variable carry a different meaning even if identification of both these set of parameters may require conditioning on observed covariates.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Abadie, Alberto, 2003. "Semiparametric instrumental variable estimation of treatment response models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 231-263, April.
- repec:ran:wpaper:710-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Powell, 2010. "Unconditional Quantile Treatment Effects in the Presence of Covariates," Working Papers 816, RAND Corporation.
- repec:ran:wpaper:824 is not listed on IDEAS
- Markus FrÃ¶lich & Blaise Melly, 2013.
"Unconditional Quantile Treatment Effects Under Endogeneity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 346-357, July.
- Markus Frölich & Blaise Melly, 2007. "Unconditional quantile treatment effects under endogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP32/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Frölich, Markus & Melly, Blaise, 2008. "Unconditional Quantile Treatment Effects under Endogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 3288, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Markus Frolich & Blaise Melly, 2010. "Estimation of quantile treatment effects with Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 10(3), pages 423-457, September.
- Giorgio Brunello & Margherita Fort & Guglielmo Weber, 2009. "Changes in Compulsory Schooling, Education and the Distribution of Wages in Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(536), pages 516-539, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.