Market Power, Resource Extraction and Pollution: Some Paradoxes and a Unified View
We adopt a stepwise approach to the analysis of a dynamic oligopoly game in which production makes use of a natural resource and pollutes the environment, starting with simple models where firms' output is not a function of the natural resource to end up with a full-fledged model in which (i) the resource is explicitly considered as an input of production and (ii) the natural resource and pollution interact via the respective state equations. This allows us to show that the relationship between the welfare properties of the economic system and the intensity of competition is sensitive to the degree of accuracy with which the model is constructed.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Downing, Paul B. & White, Lawrence J., 1986. "Innovation in pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 18-29, March.
- Karp Larry & Livernois John, 1994.
"Using Automatic Tax Changes to Control Pollution Emissions,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 38-48, July.
- Livernois, J. & Karp, L., 1992. "Using Automatic Tax Changes to Control Pollution Emissions," Working Papers 1992-12, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Van Long, Ngo, 2002. "On the multiplicity of efficiency-inducing tax rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 331-336, August.
- Yong Bao & Melody Lo & Franklin G. Mixon, 2010. "General-interest versus specialty journals: Using intellectual influence of econometrics research to rank economics journals and articles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 345-353.
- Lo, Alex Y., 2010. "Christos Zografos and Richard B. Howarth, Editors, Deliberative Ecological Economics, Oxford University Press (2008) ISBN 9780195696974 271 pp.," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 2042-2043, August.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1983. "On Commons and Tragedies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 787-92, September.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Poyago-Theotoky, J.A., 2007. "The organization of R&D and environmental policy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 63-75, January.
- Milliman, Scott R. & Prince, Raymond, 1989. "Firm incentives to promote technological change in pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-265, November.
- Van Long Ngo, 2010. "A Survey Of Dynamic Games In Economics:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., volume 1, number 7577.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp798. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.