A Stochastic Optimal Control Model of Pollution Abatement
We model a dynamic monopoly with environmental externalities,investigating the adoption of a tax levied on the firm's instantaneous contribution to the accumulation of pollution. The latter process is subject to a shock, which is i.i.d. across instants. We prove the existence of an optimal tax rate such that the monopoly replicates the same steady state welfare level as under social planning. Yet, the corresponding output level, R&D investment for environmental friendly technologies and surplus distribution necessarily differ from the socially optimal ones.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Dragone & L. Lambertini & A. Palestini, 2009.
"The Incentive to Invest in Environmental-Friendly Technologies: Dynamics Makes a Difference,"
658, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Davide Dragone & Luca Lambertini & Arsen Palestini, 2009. "The Incentive to Invest in Environmental-Friendly Technologies: Dynamics Makes a Difference," Working Paper Series 21_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- Paul Klemperer & Margaret Meyer, 1986. "Price Competition vs. Quantity Competition: The Role of Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 618-638, Winter.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Van Long, Ngo, 2002. "On the multiplicity of efficiency-inducing tax rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 331-336, August.
- Livernois, J. & Karp, L., 1992.
"Using Automatic Tax Changes to Control Pollution Emissions,"
1992-12, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Karp Larry & Livernois John, 1994. "Using Automatic Tax Changes to Control Pollution Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 38-48, July.
- Luca Lambertini, 2005. "Stackelberg leadership in a dynamic duopoly with stochastic capital accumulation," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 443-465, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.