The Euro and European financial markets
This study argues that the introduction of the euro would have a more immediate and direct impact on European bond markets than on European banking markets. The single currency would create a single private yield curve in the near term and could also lead to a more integrated government bond market. While the immediate impact of the euro for banking markets would be limited, the switch over time by European corporations from bank debt to bond debt would come on top of the competitive challenge that European banks already face. The need for banks to adjust raises a number of potential issues for public policy in Europe, some of which may have broader international implications.
|Date of creation:||May 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen and Jurgen von Hagen., 1995.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Union: Federalism, Fiscal Restrictions and the No-Bailout Rule,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-056, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1995. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Union: Federalism, Fiscal Restrictions and the No-Bailout Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996.
"Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings,"
9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- Gual, Jordi & Neven, Damien J, 1992. "Deregulation of the European Banking Industry (1980-1991)," CEPR Discussion Papers 703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert N. McCauley & Rama Seth, 1992. "Foreign bank credit to U.S. corporations: the implications of offshore loans," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 52-65.
- McCauley, R.N., 1997.
"The Euro and the Dollar,"
Princeton Essays in International Economics
205, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "Forward Interest Rates as Predictors of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven A. Zimmer & Robert N. McCauley, 1990. "Bank cost of capital and international competition," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Win, pages 33-59.
- Jean Dermine, 1996. "European Banking with a Single Currency," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-54, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.