Monetary policy and the behaviour of interest rates: are long rates excessively volatile?
This paper employs data on short and long interest rates for the G-10 countries, Australia, Austria and Spain to assess the expectations hypothesis (EH) of the term structure, using the Campbell-Shiller (1987, 1991) methodology. Although the EH is rejected in several countries, in all countries actual and theoretical long interest rates do move closely over time. This finding suggests that, at least from a monetary policy perspective, it is appropriate to view long interest rates as determined largely by expectations held by financial market participants concerning the future path of short term interest rates.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Kugler, 1988. "An Empirical Note on the Term Structure and Interest Rate Stabilization Policies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(4), pages 789-792.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1974. "The Asymptotic Distribution of Forecasts in the Dynamic Simulation of an Econometric Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(2), pages 303-09, March.
- Kugler, Peter, 1990. "The term structure of Euro interest rates and rational expectations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 234-244, June.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1991.
"Modelling the Yield Curve,"
IMF Working Papers
91/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Jonsson, Gunnar, 1995. "The information in Swedish short-maturity forward rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1115-1131, June.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 1995. " The Predictive Power of Yield Spreads for Future Interest Rates: Evidence from the Danish Term Structure," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(1), pages 145-59, March.
- Robert J. Shiller & John Y. Campbell & Kermit L. Schoenholtz, 1983.
"Forward Rates and Future Policy: Interpreting the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(1), pages 173-224.
- Robert J. Shiller & John Y. Campbell & Kermit L. Schoenholtz, 1983. "Forward Rates and Future Policy: Interpreting the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 667, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980.
"Alternative Tests of Rational Expectations Models: The Case of the Term Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
0563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1981. "Alternative tests of rational expectations models : The case of the term structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 71-87, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1986.
"The Changing Behavior of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 211-228.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1985. "The Changing Behavior of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 1669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Speight, Alan E H, 1988. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates in the UK," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 287-99, October.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 1997.
"The term structure of Euro-rates: some evidence in support of the expectations hypothesis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 305-321, April.
- Stefan Gerlach & Frank Smets, 1995. "The term structure of Euro-rates: some evidence in support of the expectations hypothesis," BIS Working Papers 28, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 1995. "The Term Structure of Euro-Rates: Some Evidence in Support of the Expectations Hypothesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Shiller & J. Huston McCulloch, 1987.
"The Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
2341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1979. "The Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates and Expectations Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1190-1219, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.