Risk Premia and Long Rates in Ireland
Using a number of long-term maturities and monthly data, 1989-97, we provide a number of tests of the expectations hypothesis (EH) of the term structure. The main insight in this paper is the use of the excess holding period return to provide a proxy for a possible time-varying term premium. Nearly all previous studies using the VAR methodology have used only the spread and the change in (short) rates and they have ignored the excess holding period return. We find that we cannot reject the EH, but we do reject the presence of time-varying risk premia. Copyright © 2001 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 20 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kugler, Peter, 1988. "An Empirical Note on the Term Structure and Interest Rate Stabilization Policies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(4), pages 789-92, November.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1979. "The Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates and Expectations Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1190-1219, December.
- John Y. Campbell, 1990.
"A Variance Decomposition for Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
3246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert & Campbell, John, 1991.
"Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View,"
3221490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John Y & Shiller, Robert J, 1991. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 495-514, May.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," NBER Working Papers 3153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engsted, Tom, 1996. "The predictive power of the money market term structure," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 289-295, June.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1991.
"Modelling the Yield Curve,"
IMF Working Papers
91/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," NBER Working Papers 1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1985.
"The Changing Behavior of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
1669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Miron, Jeffrey A, 1986. "The Changing Behavior of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 211-28, May.
- Keith Cuthbertson & Don Bredin, 2000.
"The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure - The Case of Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 267-281.
- Bredin, Don & Cuthbertson, Keith, 2000. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure: The Case of Ireland," Research Technical Papers 1/RT/00, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Tzavalis, Elias & Wickens, Michael, 1998. "A Re-examination of the Rational Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure: Reconciling the Evidence from Long-Run and Short-Run Tests," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(3), pages 229-39, July.
- Hall, Anthony D & Anderson, Heather M & Granger, Clive W J, 1992. "A Cointegration Analysis of Treasury Bill Yields," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 116-26, February.
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-68, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:20:y:2001:i:6:p:391-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.