The fragility of the Phillips curve: A bumpy ride in the frequency domain
We provide a robustness check of the US Phillips curve in the frequency domain. We design frequency-specific coeffcients of correlation (FSCC) and regression (FSCR), based on our frequency-specific data extraction procedure. Being real-valued, signed and normalised, the FSCC is superior to traditional indicators such as coherence and cospectrum. Our FSCC and FSCR estimates suggest that the Phillips tradeoffs vary greatly across frequencies, with frequent sign reversals. They seem to be stable in higher frequencies, but unstable in low and medium frequencies, and they are sensitive to the level and boundaries of frequency aggregation, to the way data are processed prior to analysis (eg detrending) and to the type of variables used. In this sense, the Phillips curves are fragile. The impact of potential cross-frequency model inconsistency on model estimation using conventional time domain methods needs careful scrutiny.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 2001.
"The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff between Inflation and Unemployment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C45-61, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1905, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tan, Hui Boon & Ashley, Richard, 1999. "Detection And Modeling Of Regression Parameter Variation Across Frequencies," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 69-83, March.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Generalized spectral estimation of the consumption-based asset pricing model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 269-288, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521370905 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521424318 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.