Polluting technologies and sustainable economic development
We study how the import of older and more polluting technologies alters the relationship between output and environmental quality in developing countries within a vintage capital framework. Our results show that old technologies prolong the period until which pollution may eventually decrease and cause this turning point to be reached at a higher level of pollution. An empirical analysis using export data of vintage technologies from the US and Europe to developing countries supports our theoretical findings.
|Date of creation:||12 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 01 31, 33501 Bielefeld|
Web page: http://www.imw.uni-bielefeld.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Licandro, Omar & Germain, Marc & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1996.
"Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
4096, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997. "Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," Working Papers 96-16, FEDEA.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-377.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Martinez, Blanca, 2003.
"Replacement, adoption and economic dynamics: lessons from a canonical creative destruction model,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 339-359, September.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & MARTINEZ, Blanca, . "Replacement, adoption and economic dynamics: lessons from a canonical creative destruction model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1657, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Clerides, Sofronis, 2008. "Gains from trade in used goods: Evidence from automobiles," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 322-336, December.
- David F. Bradford & Rebecca Schlieckert & Stephen H. Shore, 2000.
"The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Exploring A Fresh Specification,"
NBER Working Papers
8001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bradford David F. & Fender Rebecca A & Shore Stephen H. & Wagner Martin, 2005. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Exploring a Fresh Specification," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30, June.
- David Bradford & Rebecca Schlieckert & Stephen H. Shore, 2000. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Exploring a Fresh Specification," CESifo Working Paper Series 367, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1998. "Are There Limits to Growth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Danilo Pelletiere & Kenneth A. Reinert, 2004. "Used automobile protection and trade: Gravity and ordered probit analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 737-751, December.
- Navaretti, Giorgio Barba & Soloaga, Isidro & Takacs, Wendy, 2000. "Vintage Technologies and Skill Constraints: Evidence from U.S. Exports of New and Used Machines," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 91-109, January.
- Mulder, Peter & de Groot, Henri L. F. & Hofkes, Marjan W., 2003. "Explaining slow diffusion of energy-saving technologies; a vintage model with returns to diversity and learning-by-using," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 105-126, February.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2001.
"Dynamic Investment Behavior Taking into Account Ageing of the Capital Good,"
2001-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2004. "Dynamic investment behavior taking into account ageing of the capital good," Other publications TiSEM 3fc960b5-8f69-4008-a3e4-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Smith, M. A. M., 1974. "International trade in second-hand machines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 261-278, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bie:wpaper:379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bettina Weingarten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.